Feral Dogs

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I have not seen any in many years about 18 to be exact. I was curious if anyone else has ran into them latley.
My father lives on the Northwestern border of Wharton. A couple of nights ago at about 2:00 AM he heard a dog barking by his back fence line (Wharton border) and it eventually moved over by the western border of his yard (Tremont Ave dirtroad) after a little bit it made a complete circle back into the woods. He did not get up to look at it, but he is concerned about the population of feral dogs coming back up in the area. I told him to keep his gun loaded when he wakes up in the middle of night and goes to catch a smoke. None of the neighbors leave their dogs out at night due to the numerous coyote sightings last year, so we don't think it was a neighborhood dog. He claimed it sounded like a regular big dog bark similar to his 80 lb pitbull mix. I suggested a coyote but neither of us have really heard a coyote actually bark. I'm thinking someone dropped off a dog in the area or the feral dogs are coming back. I'm telling ya now if it's ferals, they won't last long, they are some of the nastiest SOBs I know of.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
About 5 or 6 years ago, three friends and I went camping deep in Wharton (where we shouldn't have been camping). I knew exactly where we were and it was deep in the woods, too far for neighborhood dogs. Pretty late by the fire (maybe 2am) we heard a bunch of barking and yapping far off that lasted a good 20 min or more. Definately not coyotes, I hear yotes all the time and they dont bark like the barking we heard that night. It was a little scary cuase I was pretty positive they were wild dogs. Cant imagine them being anything different. If we have feral hogs in some areas of NJ (they are huntable in zone 25), we can just as easily have feral dogs making a comeback in the pines.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
No, One is not much of a comeback, but if there is a second one of opposite sex, thats 2 too many. At that point forget sense of security out there in the late night early morning hours when alot of people like to be out there for astrology and recording reasons

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
As someone who has had sheep, I can tell you that people often let their pet dogs wander by night, and what you see as a feral dog is more likely to be someone's pet. Their behavior can belie their living situation.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Maybe they were coon hunters, they go out at night and it is wonderful to hear their music echo through the woods. Also fox hunters during the day.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
As someone who has had sheep, I can tell you that people often let their pet dogs wander by night, and what you see as a feral dog is more likely to be someone's pet. Their behavior can belie their living situation.
I know ferals usually hang out in packs, so if it is just one dog I'm not too concerned and would pass it by as a pet. This just has me wondering if anyone off of here has had any encounters on the western side of wharton with any feral dogs recently.

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
There are some still around. I see them every so often once or twice a year mainly in winter months when they rome more for food. Also a bit of coyotes around too. They are a bit smaller and ragety though. When it snows watch for tracks. If you see usually a single or pair of tracks its usually a coyote, if you see a bunch the dogs came through the area. Coyotes usualy run from you, dogs on the other hand......well that's why when I'm hunting I keep my gun loaded till I've reached my vehicle. I had one run in with dogs about 5 years ago when walking out of my stand. Was not fun. Wish NJ would allow us to carry a loaded side arm even after dark as long as our main hunting weapon was unloaded like a few other states do that I know

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
dogs

I have not seen any in many years about 18 to be exact. I was curious if anyone else has ran into them latley.
My father lives on the Northwestern border of Wharton. A couple of nights ago at about 2:00 AM he heard a dog barking by his back fence line (Wharton border) and it eventually moved over by the western border of his yard (Tremont Ave dirtroad) after a little bit it made a complete circle back into the woods. He did not get up to look at it, but he is concerned about the population of feral dogs coming back up in the area. I told him to keep his gun loaded when he wakes up in the middle of night and goes to catch a smoke. None of the neighbors leave their dogs out at night due to the numerous coyote sightings last year, so we don't think it was a neighborhood dog. He claimed it sounded like a regular big dog bark similar to his 80 lb pitbull mix. I suggested a coyote but neither of us have really heard a coyote actually bark. I'm thinking someone dropped off a dog in the area or the feral dogs are coming back. I'm telling ya now if it's ferals, they won't last long, they are some of the nastiest SOBs I know of.

I heard them a few weeks ago too, I'm about 3 miles north of Tremont Ave. Been here and riding/biking in Wharton about 6 years now. I've only encountered one wild dog while riding near Washington (the ruins) and one coyote riding MTN bike at Jobstown bogs (off Jackson Rd.). It sounded like multiple dogs yelping, barking and howling a little - never hear anything from that direction except ducks & geese. certainly not neighborhood dogs.

Guess it could have been someone hunting at midnight with dogs....is that legal?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A couple years ago a neighbor had a shepherd who wasn't dangerous, but sometimes liked to follow me around and harass me by barking. One night he came up and I blasted him with a powerful little LED flashlight that I carry around. That really scared him and he ran away; never bothered me again.

I have no idea how effective this would be with a wild dog, and I suppose a whole pack would be a problem no matter what. But it's a good idea to have a flashlight anyway, and it's certainly worth trying before you start shooting at things...

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I have no idea how effective this would be with a wild dog, and I suppose a whole pack would be a problem no matter what. But it's a good idea to have a flashlight anyway, and it's certainly worth trying before you start shooting at things...

Hmmmm. Pack of wild dogs comes up. Let me shine a light in their eye and see if it it will scare them away......oopps.... not scared, now let me grab my gun...... uh oh Ive been taken down. Sorry Feral Dogs suck, if you have ever had an encounter with them you'd know. They are not native here and provide nothing other than harm to you youre children or pets. By all means I hope if you have an encounter youre light works but in advance I will say i feel bad.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
You probably wander different areas than I do. I haven't ever seen any evidence of packs of feral dogs. And I don't think I've ever read about people being attacked by them either. But, whatever.... I guess I'm doomed.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
You probably wander different areas than I do. I haven't ever seen any evidence of packs of feral dogs. And I don't think I've ever read about people being attacked by them either. But, whatever.... I guess I'm doomed.
As I said it's been along long time since I've seen anything and the purpose of this thread was to see anyone has encountered anything recently. It doesn't seem like like it though so I don't believe anyone has anything to worry about. Main reason of concern was where my parents live at one point was a pretty popular area to dump unwanted pets.Still seems to be for cats, even though the feral cat situation has decreased as well since they Coyotes populated pretty heavily.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There are a fair number of feral cats in my area, and I have found it pretty interesting to observe them. There are a few thousand acres of undeveloped land around me, and they seem to manage pretty well on their own. These don't appear to be "dumped" pets, but animals who have adapted to living on their own. They won't let you come anywhere near them, but are curious about people and observe me from a distance.

I have a friend from Philadelphia that has rescued a lot of stray cats, and she asked if I was putting food out for the cats and trying to get to know them. I told her that I felt it would be the wrong thing to do. If a poor "lost kitty" came begging for food, I would cave in. But these are, for all practical purposes, proud wild animals and I admire their spirit and independence.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There are a fair number of feral cats in my area, and I have found it pretty interesting to observe them. There are a few thousand acres of undeveloped land around me, and they seem to manage pretty well on their own. These don't appear to be "dumped" pets, but animals who have adapted to living on their own. They won't let you come anywhere near them, but are curious about people and observe me from a distance.

I have a friend from Philadelphia that has rescued a lot of stray cats, and she asked if I was putting food out for the cats and trying to get to know them. I told her that I felt it would be the wrong thing to do. If a poor "lost kitty" came begging for food, I would cave in. But these are, for all practical purposes, proud wild animals and I admire their spirit and independence.

Don't admire them too much. They can be extremely dangerous to native populations of birds, rodents and snakes/lizards. They really aren't wild but domesticated breeds who kill indiscriminantly for the satisfaction of humans. it is in their nature now. Please don't feed them.

I used to live in an area that people would dump pets (dogs) all the time and ran into a few stray dogs from time to time. I once came across a real nasty looking pit bull when I was in a tight trail on my motorcycle. It could have been bad, but fortunitely the dog was more interested in the deer carcass it was chewing on rather than me. If you come across agressive dogs, get yourself a stick and jab at them as they attack. They are often too fast if you swing and you open yourself up to attack if your swing misses. With jabbing you can recover quickly and inflict alot of pain when you make contact.

Jeff

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
As I said above, I do NOT feed the cats. I don't know how much of a negative impact they have. I see one or two over the course of a week. They are here now, and I am not going to do anything to kill them. Man himself is what has the largest negative impact on the environment. He has brought the dogs, cats, non-native plants and even the out of control deer to the pines. But in the end, we're all part of nature for better or worse. It isn't going to change unless we build a wall around the pines and keep everybody out.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
If you come across agressive dogs, get yourself a stick and jab at them as they attack. They are often too fast if you swing and you open yourself up to attack if your swing misses. With jabbing you can recover quickly and inflict alot of pain when you make contact.

Jeff

Jeff,
When I used to trail run (often alone) I had a seemingly curious dog follow me for awhile before it lost interest. I had a bad feeling about it and picked up a good sized stick for my return run. On the return trip the "curious dog" came right at me snarling. I was lucky my jab hit home, and he ran off yelping. I think I set a speed record running back to car. It wasn't a pack, just one dog.
Greg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
As I said above, I do NOT feed the cats. I don't know how much of a negative impact they have. I see one or two over the course of a week. They are here now, and I am not going to do anything to kill them. Man himself is what has the largest negative impact on the environment. He has brought the dogs, cats, non-native plants and even the out of control deer to the pines. But in the end, we're all part of nature for better or worse. It isn't going to change unless we build a wall around the pines and keep everybody out.

I just mention it as a word of caution since you said if a poor lost kitty came around you might cave in. I am speaking from experience, I caved in and all Hell broke loose. I definitely not suggesting you kill them or anything...cheez, but don't be sucked in by their furry cute-ness. They are ruthless murders.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff,
When I used to trail run (often alone) I had a seemingly curious dog follow me for awhile before it lost interest. I had a bad feeling about it and picked up a good sized stick for my return run. On the return trip the "curious dog" came right at me snarling. I was lucky my jab hit home, and he ran off yelping. I think I set a speed record running back to car. It wasn't a pack, just one dog.
Greg

Wow! I had a close encounter with a pack when I was a kid. The jab kept me safe till I got to a tree. I was treed for quite awhile. Where I grew up we (people in town) didn't fence our dogs in and they started their own weekend warrior pack. I don't know that they would have ripped me apart or anything but it was scary to a 12 year old. My own dog (who was an honorary member of the pack) eventually came around and chased them off.

I once had two rottweilers (spelling/) come after me very aggressively on my motorcycle once. Thank God I had a really fast bike at the time.

Jeff