Fiddlehead saga a culinary mystery

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

By LAWRENCE HAJNA
Courier-Post Staff

Each spring, a little culinary delicacy unfurls from South Jersey's leaf-littered forests.

Fiddleheads.

Culinary delicacy may be, well, a bit subjective.

But this plant, actually the shoots of ferns, has drawn people of Asian descent from all over the region to the Pinelands for years.

So I launched a quest for fiddleheads, or, more importantly, for the denizens who scour the forests in search of them.

First, a little background. Fiddlehead is a generic name for the sprout of just about any fern.

The sprouts are so named because they pop up with spiral-like leaf heads that resemble the end of a fiddle.

Several fern species grow in the Pinelands. But here the fiddlehead is most likely going to be the sprout of the ubiquitous bracken fern. This species favors the region's dry, sandy soil and is easy pickings along many roadsides.

Locating fiddlehead lovers, however, would be more daunting than finding the inconspicuous little sprouts just starting to poke through the sand.

I was met with incredulity: "I never heard of such a thing."

And sympathy: "I haven't seen them this year, but I know what you're talking about."

The latter was from David Moore, who owns the Green Top Farm Market on Route 70 in Southampton.

"You'll see them on the side of the road, only right now when the ferns are starting to pop up," he said.

"You'll just see a car parked on the side of the road. If you see four or five people bending over with a bag, then you know they're picking something to eat."

I logged more than 200 miles over two days, crisscrossing all the major roads in the Pinelands. And many that were not so major.

I began to deduce that the season may be running late because of the cool spring.

My only luck came early on, when, in a kind of a daze, I almost sped right by two older Korean women picking fiddleheads along Route 72 at the edge of Brendan T. Byrne State Forest.

A brush fire swept through here in the not-too-distant past, clearing fallen leaves and making it easier for Ok Yung and Penny Wagner to locate fiddleheads.

Yung, 72, came to the United States from Seoul, South Korea, about three years ago.

Yung speaks no English and seemed suspicious of my intentions. She cast furtive glances at me while continuing to fill her plastic grocery bag with shoots she plucked from the charred roadside embankment.

Wagner, 60, who "Americanized" her Korean name after emigrating from Seoul more than 30 years ago, did all the talking.

The two friends drove about 90 minutes from their homes in Bensalem, Pa., to pick fiddleheads, mostly to kill a day, Wagner said.

"She was bored, and asked me if we could take a ride," Wagner said, glancing at Yung, still picking.

Technically, it's illegal to pick any plants in state forests, but it's not like anyone was ever hauled away for picking fiddleheads.

By summer, the ferns will blanket these woods with frilly fronds, giving the forest floor an almost tropical appearance.

The shoots, on the other hand, are, at best, unassuming. Certainly nothing you'll notice while driving down the road.

"The secret to finding them? A lot of times we just drive over and just get out and see," Wagner said. "A lot of times they're under pine trees."

Which, of course, is just about everywhere in the Pinelands.

Russell Juelg is a naturalist and survivalist who works with the Pinelands Preservation Alliance, an environmental group.

Picking the shoots probably does little or no damage to the ferns, he said. Shoots in an area as big as 40 square yards may all come from one complex, interconnected rhizome system, he said.

"Besides, (bracken) ferns are so abundant, I can't imagine it being a problem," he said.

Juelg has eaten many odd, woodsy-type things. He doesn't necessarily rank fern shoots among his favorites.

Some can be downright unpalatable; the bracken shoots are well, rather, blah, he said.

"They're just kind of gummy, sticky," he said. "They don't have a lot of flavor to them. If I had to compare them to anything, maybe they're a little like a raw yellow squash. It has a peculiar consistency, a little like over-cooked okra."

Of course, Juelg has only tried them raw.

Yung and Wagner boil them - not once but twice, "like spinach." The club-like tips fall off, leaving clumps of cooked stalks.

They add butter, sesame oil or other seasonings to serve the fiddleheads as a side dish with rice or traditional Korean foods.

Ferns, of course, are found all over the world.

"When we were young, we ate a lot," Wagner said. "Now they're so hard to find."

So what do fiddleheads taste like?

"Very good," Wagner said. "A lot of Asian people like them: Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans."

No, I mean, what would you compare them with?

"Hmmm . . ."

Long pause.

". . . it tastes like . . ."

Another long pause.

". . . I don't know. Almost like spinach, it tastes like. But flat. A green taste, you know?"

Not really. Guess I'll have to try some myself.

Later.

In the meantime, through intrepid research I found that a gourmet market outside Atlantic City sells the stuff.

Vince Mazzeo, owner of B.F. Mazzeo Gourmet Food Market in Northfield, has fiddleheads delivered by Federal Express every week during the spring. They come in 5-pound, vacuum-sealed bags and sell for up to $10 a pound.

He's been selling fiddleheads for about five years, after seeing them used on the Food Network. Chefs, mostly haute-cuisine types, buy the stuff.

Mazzeo never realized they grow abundantly, practically in his back yard.

"Jersey fiddlehead ferns? Hmmm . . ."

One could almost imagine the light bulb switching on.

His primary supplier is southern California-based Frieda's Inc., which markets ostrich fern fiddleheads that grow wild in eastern Canada.

The ostrich fern, which prefers marshy areas, is one of the few fern species considered safe for consumption. It is not native to New Jersey's Pinelands.

In fact, survivalist field guides and government Web sites warn that bracken fern, although not acutely toxic, contain compounds known to cause stomach cancer. Stomach cancer is a big problem in Asian nations where bracken fiddleheads are widely eaten.

One Canadian government Web site notes that bracken fern fiddleheads are often confused with the ostrich fern fiddlehead.

This said, I figured it was time to try a local fiddlehead for myself.

I pulled over on a desolate stretch of Route 563, somewhere north of Batsto, and pinched off a four-inch-high shoot. I tentatively nibbled the stalk.

It melted in my mouth.

Creamy, was one word that came to mind.

So did grassy, as in chewing cud.

Not entirely bad. But not good either.

Next time, I'll heed Wagner's roadside advice.

"You can't eat it raw," she said. "It's lousy that way."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/southjersey/m051303c.htm

B

bach2yoga

I've bought them before at Shoprite and sauteed with butter. Not bad really. But then again, the only vegetable I've ever had that I didn't like was okra. Yuck.
Linda Runyon, a local survivalist, has several books out on eating foods from the yard and wild (non-cultivated, not farmed). Her books are wildly popular in Japan. The Japanese government has required that she delete the fiddleheads from her books and ID cards, though, as it seems many of the Japanese are overindulging in fiddleheads. The Japanese government seems to feel that an excess of fiddleheads is carcinogenic. (toxin du jour!)
Renee

MAINE BUSHPILOT

Feb 21, 2011
WINTERPORT MAINE
Fiddleheads

In maine almost everbody picks fiddleheads!!! Pick them to eat and sell.
We find them along brooks and streams in the spring. You can buy them
in the supermarkets up here, or people sell them in front of thier house.
Boiled or steamed with vinegar is the way to go !!! Great with fresh brook
trout or deer meat...

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Fiddleheads, eh... But we do like okra!

One of my chores was to pick wild greens. It was common around the Vineland area to forage for wild edibles more out of adventure than need. I would collect fiddleheads in a swamp just north of Ingersoll Branch of the Manumuskin. They were more of a curiosity than a staple like lambsquarter (Chenopodium spp.), dandelion (Taraxacum officinale), or poke (Phytolacca americana) shoots boiled in two waters. The Cannon Range Road provided bee-line passage through a thick grove of Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera). There the ferns grew very large, three- and four-feet tall, providing a Jurassic Parklike atmosphere. I must go back to identify the species that locals traditionally picked for fiddleheads.

When the wife and I built the new house, I planted a medley of ferns out back along the north wall. Ostrich Fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) was included specifically for culinary use for sake of fiddlehead-collecting nostalgia. My dad really fancied them for supper when I was growing up. Runoff from the long slope of our saltbox roof provides ample irrigation to maintain stand vigor. My wife and daughter never did quite take a liking to fiddleheads, so they’ve been dropped from the menu.

Oddly, native brook trout also inhabited Ingersoll Branch. During spring highstand, their young fry would swim up into some of the spungs – especially Ingersoll Pond:You could occasionally catch the brook trout by “tickling” them, which is coming up from behind while moving your fingers. Alas the pond has disappeared over the last half century. There used to be a rotting hull of a small boat near the south shore. Likewise the nearby telegraph poles of the Star Tobacco Company have likely crumbled away. Abundant Silurian and Devonian fossils are found amongst the gravel. This was an odd non Pine Barrens patch surrounded by Pine Barrens.

Reactions: manumuskin

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I remember my Korean mother and her friends picking them along the roadside in Toms River in the 70's when I was a kid. When they are in season, you can get the prepared ones along with all the other little bowls of yummy side dishes that come with your entree when dining in a Korean restaurant. I admit, I haven't had them in years. May have to make a point of getting some. They are so delicious, and even taste healthy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
oji has mentioned there is a cancer scare from eating them.

Guy

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
oji has mentioned there is a cancer scare from eating them.

Guy

I just had to look this up because I had never heard of such a thing... wow. I am very surprised by this. I had no idea about its carcinogenic properties. And I'm not even going to mention it to the 70-old mother. If the cigarettes haven't gotten her yet, ferns a couple times a year won't do any damage. : )

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Yeah, I guess everything is probably a risk nowadays. I too have fond memories of picking them on Ft. Dix (Joint Base MDL now) in the 70s and Mom cooking them in a big pot on the stove while steaming up some rice.