Finially I Got Him!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He really has a camouflage problem! Impressive shots!

Guy

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
NJSnakeMan said:
think the bottom photo is good enough to enter in a photo contest?

I think so, but you'll never find out for sure 'til you enter it!
Do it! Worst that can happen is that they'll tell you to keep at it!

Dave

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
thanks for the kind words, i saw an advertisment on animal planet for a photo contest. You know what would be a cool photo though? A black phased,albino and gray squirell in one pic!

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Yes, the photos are terrific. You even have eye contact. He's not an albino (no red eyes), but he certainly is a blonde! I have never seen anything but a gray squirrel. He's cool.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
jokerman said:
Yes, the photos are terrific. You even have eye contact. He's not an albino (no red eyes), but he certainly is a blonde! I have never seen anything but a gray squirrel. He's cool.

Jokerman, look closely at the first photo. I think he does have red eyes.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Yes he does have redish/pinkish eyes, i dont know if might of been the sun or the flash that screwed with the pic but he defiantly had redish looking eyes. What should i name the guy? =D This was the third time i've seen him so he is a local resident, most likely ill see him again!

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Pink eyes and white hair/fur do not (alone) an albino make! There has to be a complete absence of melanin everywhere in the body. One site that often disqualifies a generally white, pink-eyed animal from coveted albino status are the ungual skin (the skin of the claws, talons, hooves) which, in this guy, appear to be devoid of melanin (at least those that are illuminated enough to evaluate). Since amelamotic irides of the eye can appear pale grey in many lights and viewing angles, my vote goes with this one really being albino. But, nonetheless, I'd try for a shot that unequivocally shows the pink eyes just to convince any reasonable Doubting Thomases.

The yellowish tan discoloration on the legs, part of face, and undersurfaces is sometime suggested to be "Pheomelanin - a yellowish/brownish form of melanin that disqualifies albino status - but in this case I'll bet it's just staining of the fur with tannins of tree bark.

Albino? Alschmino! - Either way, it's a white damned squirrel and you've taken really striking shots! Thanks, Brandon, for sharing them.

Dave