Fire in Bass River

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
The fire started out as two small fires, about 10-20 acres total. Maybe 250 acres with the burn out. It is in a very swampy area near Dan Bridge Rd. It has potential to grow to about 800-900 acres. I will be heading out that way tomorrow morning to see if Cynthia needs any help clearing out the office if need be.

I got notification around 7 that they had evacuated the campsites and the park.

If anyone is interested in coming with me in the morning, give me a holler.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I had to run to lacey yesterday evening, At mile marker 56 the smoke was pretty thick at about 6:20PM and at about 7:00PM when I came back down it was thicker. As much as I'm not a huge forest fire fan, this one did smell pretty good I guess being in a swampy area. You could see the smoke a tad before where the Mullica crosses under the parkway.

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
.......As much as I'm not a huge forest fire fan......

i'd have to admit i am a fan-or perhaps better said,i'll always choose fire over fire suppression......i see so much of that and it's fugly resulting tinderbox thickets everywhere-mostly outside the PB's-and the contrast is stark.If I make it to that area this weekend,hopefully i can get some pics but if anyone else has some,i'd like to see them.....fire is definitely a fascinating and underappreciated aspect of the forest imho.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Ugh I don't think you'd be a fan of where this fire is. Burning wetlands is not a great thing. Given all this heat lots of critters are nestled down in those swamps to beat the heat and get underground, I worry about some of those critters.

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
thing is though routine fire keeps down the encroachment of woody plants that dry up the wetlands;think muhlenberg habitat,etc.....but i definitely agree the timing of this is not ideal,that's why prescribed burns are usually done before march,when most of our beloved criters are down for the winter,out of harm's way........but 'dragon' you know better than i how resilient wildlife is esp. to natural 'disasters' such as fire,and are surprisingly adept at finding a way to hunker down and survive.of course some don't,maybe that's just natural selection at work.......anyplace a fire does burn,it's just helping keep down the fuel buildup from fire suppression,assuring that the next time it burns,it won't burn too hot,just move through fairly quickly without damaging the fire-adapted species of the forest.

admittedly i'm no forester i just find this stuff very cool,and educational to boot.man and fire(or any villified aspect of nature-think bear,venomous snakes,lrg. apex predators,etc.) can coexist if we'd just be smarter about our ecological role,i.e. work with nature instead of always trying to 'conquer'/tame/extirminate it........ok i'm off the soapbox

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I’m also never thrilled to see animals die, but I just consider it all part of nature. Nature often seems cruel, but cruelty and kindness are human terms, not natural ones, based on our own perspective. Of course, in the case of fire, one can complicate the discussion with the instances of human-caused fires, but that’s a topic in itself.

Another point worth considering besides fuel reduction, is the fact that some of our most interesting and rare pine barrens plant species are found in severely disturbed wetlands, so the positive aspects of wildfire are not limited to uplands. Incidents like this are too-often described using terms like destruction when they are really more about change. Now if you want to see destruction, look at any large housing development!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The smoke smell started last night and continues this morning up this way. Should make for some nice sunsets.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100728_Smoky_fire_in_Pine_Barrens_mostly_contained.html

Also one in the Winslow area. Last night around 10:00 73 was pretty smokey, aand when I got called into work, about 12:30, there was a bunch of smoke and a few vehicles on gaurd along the AC Xpressway

Yeah, I smelled that one this morning, but I did not see any smoke. I ride that section of forest along the expressway all the time, and usually travel down Blue Anchor Rd. to get to work. I did pass 4 cops in that area this morning with lights flashing but I don't know if that was connected or not.

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
Re:the bass river fire-kind of weird but I was in that general area sunday,and well long story short I got unofficially named as an arson suspect responsible for that fire and another nearby!........All because I happened upon the same crew of foresters a couple times at two locations where they were investigating the site as a crimescene(arson apparently suspected);guess that seemed suspicious to them( I admit it might be somewhat coincidental) for some reason.

On another note-that fire near Winslow,must have kicked back up-I smelled it strongly and saw smoke as I passed the Blue Anchor exit on the expressway late friday night.the foresters told me they don't think these fires will be fully extinguished until a good 2" of rain falls;that sounded like a slight exxageration to me but what do I know.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
yeah, the winslow one smells then doesnt then smells again. The best is all the idiots on their way to shore on fridays never saw a little bit of smoke vefore i guess and slow down top 40 mph.