Fire lookout towers

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
More than I thought; also never knew the Batsto mansion has what may be the oldest lookout tower in the country.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/fire/ws_firetowers.htm

Batsto Mansion House Station
Batsto.gif
US 79, New Jersey 3
Batsto Village State Historic Site
New Jersey
Elevation: 72 feet
When it comes to fancy living quarters, New Jersey’s Batsto Manor House Lookout takes the prize. When the NJ Forest Fire Service was locating lookout sites in the flammable Pine Barrens, the imposing mansion of the iron master at the old Batsto Iron Works caught their eye. Actually, the widow’s walk on top of the manor house had been used to look for fires during dry spells for many years and may be one of the oldest detection sites in the nation. The 9’x9' enclosed wooden cab was constructed in 1919 and used for fire detection until 1924 when the Batsto Fire Tower was constructed nearby.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been a member for quite a few years. About 10 years or so ago I had an article in it. I did not submit it but the historian on the site had a copy and submitted it without my knowledge. That is water under the bridge. Anyway, for around $25 you can get 4 issues of the magazine each year. Most of the articles are not from NJ but they are still interesting. Many of the folks are getting older and there are constantly obituaries in the issues. The younger generation are not as interested in that sort of thing.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Some interesting reading. Was googling hopewell fire tower for an upcoming trip to french creek SP and site came up since that tower is where the organization had its 1st meeting.