Fishing the bay and ocean

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
If anyone wants some good fishing action the bay and surf are bubbling with stripers and blues. Got out on the boat last weekend and hit the surf yesterday (no pics yesterday, but got a nice keeper). Might have to wait till this storm blows by first.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 354

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Nice fish. I was out saturday, landing 1 keeper (37") and 6 or so unders. I heard on KYW 1060 this am that the Coast Guard is looking for 3 fishermen lost from a boat 20 miles from Cape May. Sad indeed.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I am glad that you caught some fish. Ed Campbell and I were out on Tuesday, the ocean was like a lake, but no fish. We didn't count the sharks that we caught. There was a lot of boats out and no one was pulling in fish. We are going to try again as soon as the storm subsides. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony R

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Most of my friends spin-cast, but I almost entirely fly fish (except deep sea). There were a lot of sand eel schools, so I was using sand eel patterns.. do the same for spinning with enough weight on the jig to bounce along the bottom. Although a boat helps find the fish faster, I've been doing the best right along the shore. There's also a lot of blue fin tuna about 3 miles off, but since they're migrating they are almost impossible to get a bite from. If you're fishing from shore, the best rule of thumb I can offer is to fish where you see the birds on the water because they're usually on some fish. Also, if you see a lot of fishing boats in one area, there's usually some schools there, as they all have fish finders on board. Best of luck. The rest of November and into December should stay hot around here.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Ed Campbell and I were out on Tuesday, the ocean was like a lake, but no fish.

I was out tuesday on ortley beach, like you said, like a lake with no bait or fish around. It should be good after this blow passes. I am going to hit the surf next week after I get back from my deer hunting trip to Vermont.

Chris

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Mike, thanks for some hints. We will be in a boat and wherever we see action we will go. We were using clams last week, it may pay to pick up some eels. If we catch anything we will post it.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I was out tuesday on ortley beach, like you said, like a lake with no bait or fish around. It should be good after this blow passes. I am going to hit the surf next week after I get back from my deer hunting trip to Vermont.

Chris
Best of luck with the deer. Taking my pointer pup on his first bird hunt when things clear up. Nothing like some Fall hunting and fishing then coming home to a warm fire, a recliner, and a cocktail.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Best of luck with the deer.

Thank you. I just got back, Looks like I will be eating tag soup. I saw deer, just not enough bone on their head to shoot. It is a good time to go up and hunt and hang out with familiy even when you do not get a deer, standing around the fire at night with a cold one swaping stories is as much fun as the hunt. The highlight sighting of the trip was a bobcat. I found moose sign and bear sign on the moutain ridge I hunted on this trip also. My cousin got a shot at a "10 pointer" and rushed the shot and missed, he got a 190 lbs 7 pointer last year in Vermont a month after he got a 135 lbs 6 pointer up there with his bow. I guess it was not his year this year.

Chris

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Well better luck next time. I saw a huge 8 or 10 pointer while quail hunting with my pup (the buck was huge but too far away to count points). It was my little guy's first hunting trip and I was really impressed with his performance. Here's a pic of 7 month old Gunner's first quail (at his feet):

Attachments

• gunner 002.jpg
    gunner 002.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 392

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Great looking pup, Mike! Quail, too. The males are so much better looking.
Gunner has a look like... "Put down the camera and let's get back out there." :)
Best of luck with him.

John-