flag rock is down

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
dont know what the barrens are comin to............for some time that flag painted rock halfway down 539 has been a wonderful display of graphic art...........painted and maintained by a fella up in lacey,it was vandalized by a person or persons.........who painted peace signs all over it............and badly done at that..............i was always amazed by the skill and artistry of the artist.........it looked like a real flag draped over the rock...........shame......the vandalizers should be horsewhipped and given art lessons...........strom

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I always meant to post something about that rock. For a central Jerseyite living on the western side of the state like me (We would always take 539 to 72 to get to Long Beach Island) that was always the marker for the "halfway point" between home and the island. My dad told me that he had heard it was a jetty rock that had been cut from quarries up around Sussex or Warren county and it had fell off a truck on it's way out to the shore. Since it was so heavy they just decided to push it off to the side of the road. Does anyone know if this is true? It seems like the only logical explanation for a huge boulder in the middle of an area where the largest rocks you can find are pebbles. Anyway, I always remember seeing the rock painted all different ways (Fraternity and Sorority insignias, shamrocks on St. Patties day, etc...), but after 9/11 I saw it painted up like the flag and it was a pretty cool feeling. However, I wondered how long it would last. I haven't been by it in quite a while so I didn't know it had been changed until I saw Strom's post. It would be nice to see someone paint the flag on it once again. I always wanted to see how thick the paint actually was on the rock-I can't even imagine how many times it's been painted! I wouldn't doubt that it's over a 1/4"

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I noticed it was different yesterday. It used to be changed around pretty often. I've been wanting to see it as something different, since it's been the same for nearly 4 years.....but not this way.

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
4DSCN2590-med.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The article says:

"Napinski suggested that someone bulldoze the rock into the woods, where the roadside fixture would be tucked away from him and the other drivers used to seeing it"

That is not a good idea, that is a bad idea.

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I am not sure why he is suggesting to move it into the woods. Is he trying to say that it hurts him to see it in its vandalized state?