Fly advice from PBXer's!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I missed a beautiful sunset with broken storm clouds last night. I intended to photograph the Pole Branch at Franklin Parker Preserve, got about 1/4 mile from the main entrance, and retreated back to my car. Although my clothes all always treated with Permethrin, and I sprayed my long sleeve collared shirt with Picaridin, and hat and face completely with Picaridin, the flies were like airborne pirhana, in my glasses, ears, nose, etc. Tuesday morning, 40% DEET at Friendship seemed to work pretty well, but the flies at Franklin Parker at sunset were worse. The problem with DEET is it melts plastic, if I get it on my hands it will screw up my gear, my glasses, and anything else it touches. And it's a "safe" neurotoxin (uh, right). Ignoring the geek factor, I ordered a head net to hang over a camp hat. Lemon/Eucalyptus spray and Skinsations spray seem to be ineffective. Is a physical barrier the only real solution, other than DEET (assuming that would even work in extreme conditions)? Or do you guys just get bit and ignore it?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Dumb question; but you do wear a hat, right? I have a broad palm hat, and give it a good spray.
I always wear a hat. I spray hat, long socks, boots, shirt and pants with Permethrin, then spray shirt, hat, hair and face with DEET, or Picaridin, or Skinsations or Lemon/Eucalyptus. The DEET seemed to be the most effective against flies, but I am definitely looking forward to trying the Avon SSS Bug Guard Plus Expedition. By the way, "Melancholy Man" is a great song!

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't see any claim on Sawyer's site that Permethrin is effective against flies. They specifically mention chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes and mites and make a vague reference to 55 other kinds of insects. I am out for several hours every day this time of year and always wear treated clothes and shoes. I find it is highly effective for ticks, but doesn't seem to do much for anything else. It has never helped me with chiggers :(

The flies suddenly appeared on my property about 3 days ago following a thunderstorm and they were really aggressive. But they are only in the uplands, there really aren't any (yet) down by the creek where I spend most of my time. :)

My only solution to the fly problem is to avoid the places where they're bad. And of course windy days are usually a better time to visit those places.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I don't see any claim on Sawyer's site that Permethrin is effective against flies. They specifically mention chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes and mites and make a vague reference to 55 other kinds of insects. I am out for several hours every day this time of year and always wear treated clothes and shoes. I find it is highly effective for ticks, but doesn't seem to do much for anything else. It has never helped me with chiggers :(

The flies suddenly appeared on my property about 3 days ago following a thunderstorm and they were really aggressive. But they are only in the uplands, there really aren't any (yet) down by the creek where I spend most of my time. :)

My only solution to the fly problem is to avoid the places where they're bad. And of course windy days are usually a better time to visit those places.
The places I am most interested in taking photos are in bogs, streams, marshes and ponds, through heavy brush. So my clothes are always Permethrin treated. This year, I decided to try and stay at it in the hot weather. When the clouds and light are right, I've got to be out there with my camera. I will be standing in one wet area for up to an hour at a time, as the flies attack. I'm going to try the Bug Guard, along with Picaridin and Deet, and I've also ordered head and body nets, to put on once I'm out there. It seems limiting to only go out September through April, if I can find a way to do it in hot weather. Where the flies breed, is where I'll be heading. FPP in particular seems very inhospitable this time of year.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think I suggested in an earlier post Avon skin so soft expedition strength bug spray, or the bug suit, which I found to be the most effective for me, although its tough in hot weather. I wouldn't be concerned about fashion in the woods :rolleyes: Given the stuff the buggy critters now spread, I don't think I would just want to get bit and I would not want to destroy anymore camera equipment due to deet than I already have.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I think I suggested in an earlier post Avon skin so soft expedition strength bug spray, or the bug suit, which I found to be the most effective for me, although its tough in hot weather. I wouldn't be concerned about fashion in the woods :rolleyes: Given the stuff the buggy critters now spread, I don't think I would just want to get bit and I would not want to destroy anymore camera equipment due to deet than I already have.
You did recommend the SSS Bug Guard Plus Expedition. I incorrectly assumed that it was the same as Cutters Skinsations, which it isn't, so I ordered the Bug Guard. I ordered a bug suit too. Next step is a full Hazmat suit, with the accessory deer fly fogging attachment.

Reactions: 46er

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Flys like dark colors,black being their favorite.Wear white,really their not as fond of it,especially greenheads.Also flies hunt by sight and detect air currents.If your in the woods and their killing you,seek shade,preferably a cedar swamp and become as still as you can.They are attracted to movement and air currents from moving bodies as well as the fact they hide in the shade under leaves and when you hit the bushes their in they come out to feast.This is why mosquito repellents aren't as effective on flies because mosquitoes hunt by scent and the repellents hide your scent.Flies don't care what you smell like.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Flys like dark colors,black being their favorite.Wear white,really their not as fond of it,especially greenheads.Also flies hunt by sight and detect air currents.If your in the woods and their killing you,seek shade,preferably a cedar swamp and become as still as you can.They are attracted to movement and air currents from moving bodies as well as the fact they hide in the shade under leaves and when you hit the bushes their in they come out to feast.This is why mosquito repellents aren't as effective on flies because mosquitoes hunt by scent and the repellents hide your scent.Flies don't care what you smell like.
I wear black carhartt jeans and a navy long sleeve top, so strike one. Also, much of FPP is on hot dirt roads in bright light, strike 2. And I'm hiking a couple of miles at a brisk pace, stirring up the air, strike 3. I will try to lighten up my clothes, and maybe a bug suit will help. That might also explain why, when standing still in the shade at Friendship, they left me alone. Great advice.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
upload_2016-6-8_20-48-32.png

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
What about a thermacell? I know they work on black flies and skeeters but what about deer flies? I have used it in the pines during deer season and actually don't remeber seeing any deer flies but it was cooler out.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe