Flying Squirrel

Apr 30, 2009
I think they are one of the most interesting animals in Jersey. They are a few that live in my back yard. A bunch of us were out behind my house and we were clearing some shrubs out...I guess we spooked it and it flew out of the tree. We all looked at each other and said "Did that squirrel just fly?"....Until then...I never knew they were in Jersey.

BTW....Great Photos and Thanks for posting!!!

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
We have flying squirrels that visit the bird feeders right outside my office window. We usually catch a glimpse of one scurrying up the tree when we turn the outside light on to let the dogs out at the end of the night. Their eyes are so large they are almost shocking. I really enjoy having them. They remind me of washcloths with legs.

noelle

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
they are neat, back when i was little I liked walking around and knocking the dead trees down behind my parents house. one day I walked up to one of the trees kicked it and sure ewnough one of these guys flew out of a hole. scared me. havent knocked anymore dead trees down since. notice what appears to be a tick on his ear in the second pic.

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
notice what appears to be a tick on his ear in the second pic.

Oh, yes. Just lovely. I'm sure it has lots of company with all the fleas!

Excuse me for going slightly off-topic for a moment, but I want to share that I just saw a red squirrel for the very first time. I was surprised at how small it was. I took some pics but I'm gonna have to clean them up a bit before I post any. I also have some video of my flying squirrel still in the DVR- again, I need to edit but will soon.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

Excuse me for going slightly off-topic for a moment, but I want to share that I just saw a red squirrel for the very first time. I was surprised at how small it was. I took some pics but I'm gonna have to clean them up a bit before I post any. I also have some video of my flying squirrel still in the DVR- again, I need to edit but will soon.

Red squirrels are neat! and a sure sign you are getting away from suburbia. Loud little guys huh? They always seem annoyed that we are in there area.

Jeff

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Red Squirrel

Tom M and I had a Red Squirrel attack on a trail at Brigantine NWR--he actually threw pinecones and scolded us for intruding on his territory!

Saw my first up close and personal red squirrel years back when I was up in a tree stand. I watched about 20 minutes as he worked his way from tree to tree to my stand and then across my stand and onto my boot! He stopped and looked at me for a couple of moments and then realized I wasn't part of the tree. He looked at me so quizickly and then exploded into a panicked dash for another tree as I burst out laffing. I quit for the day as he wouldn't shut his yap! I can still remember his face as his "lightbulb came on"! I had a "Nuthatch" run up my arm the next day. Didn't get a deer from that stand, but had great memories............

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Saw my first up close and personal red squirrel years back when I was up in a tree stand. I watched about 20 minutes as he worked his way from tree to tree to my stand and then across my stand and onto my boot! He stopped and looked at me for a couple of moments and then realized I wasn't part of the tree. He looked at me so quizickly and then exploded into a panicked dash for another tree as I burst out laffing. I quit for the day as he wouldn't shut his yap! I can still remember his face as his "lightbulb came on"! I had a "Nuthatch" run up my arm the next day. Didn't get a deer from that stand, but had great memories............

:) Cute story. He must have had a heart attack.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow

Ha, good story! I had squirrels pretty much surround me once and announce to all the deer that I was there (I was in a natural ground blind). They wouldn't shut up. I finally had enough and decided to leave. I turned around and stood up and there was a doe standing about 15 feet away. She jumped, I jumped higher, it was bedlam for about 5 seconds. I laughed so hard I almost passed out. I ended up staying, what a great day it was, one of my best. And I never took a shot.
Greg

Stamos

Scout
Jun 11, 2009
Shamong
A few years ago I was buying a six pack of beer at Monster Beverage in Glassboro NJ. Out of the corner of my eye I see something jump from a rafter to the top of the Belgian beer shelf aisle..... yup, a flying squirrel had landed on a four pack of Chimay Red.

Apparently they have good taste in beer. :D

A few years ago I was buying a six pack of beer at Monster Beverage in Glassboro NJ. Out of the corner of my eye I see something jump from a rafter to the top of the Belgian beer shelf aisle..... yup, a flying squirrel had landed on a four pack of Chimay Red.

Apparently they have good taste in beer. :D

Could be that they're just partiers (Explains the "redeye" in some of the pics)!:dance:

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Ha, good story! I had squirrels pretty much surround me once and announce to all the deer that I was there (I was in a natural ground blind). They wouldn't shut up. I finally had enough and decided to leave. I turned around and stood up and there was a doe standing about 15 feet away. She jumped, I jumped higher, it was bedlam for about 5 seconds. I laughed so hard I almost passed out. I ended up staying, what a great day it was, one of my best. And I never took a shot.
Greg

That's what you get when you try to shoot poor Bambi. Just can't picture you shooting a deer, bro' ! Me, I prefer to shoot 'em with a camera, but I sure love to eat 'em! My nephew shoots 'em for me. No guilty conscience that way!