Fog

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Here's a question -- what's it like, walking a sand road in the fog (fairly heavy fog so the trees are barely visible). Time is evening, winter -- November to February. Location is somewhere between Tabernacle and Carranza Memorial.
I need this description for my book . . . can't remember. Anyone have some words for me? For example, does the sand still glimmer?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I'm not good with words but I'll try to convey what I feel.

Just dead quiet except for the occasional sound as water drips off a branch.
You can almost hear the silence, it has a presence.
A sence of being alone, the animals are all bedded down and soon it will be my turn in front of a fire for the night. A nice walk but it's good to be home.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I would add, fog is not a visual experience. If I wear glasses the condensation will blind me so I take them off. The heavy air then soaks my eyebrows so I hang my head low. All is a uniform grey with little detail, like viewing through cheese cloth. I feel the trail with my feet and use my ears, but they hear little. A beautifully filmed movie comes to mind, McCabe and Mrs Miller.

Like I said I am not good with words but I hope I have conveyed what I have experienced.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
the fog was all around us, dense, moist, almost alive. With only a few feet of visibility and my foot steps being muffled by the ever present fog, I feel as though its possible I am alone in the pines, all of natures sounds seem to be strangled by the thickening fog.:ghost:

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Glo.....the sand does not glimmer in the fog........BUT it has a mellow crunch that echoes in the stillness. It's also getting upon the time of the year, just before the first froggies sing....that you smell the earth "thaw". Does anyone get my drift on that? It's a fresh, earthy, cold, come-alive smell.....all combined into one amazing breath. I usually catch first whiff walking home one night from a jaunt in our woods or from a friend's house on the back road......completely enticing!

Have a good one all, I have a house full of friends tonite! :guinness:

What kind of book are you writing?

turtle

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Glo.....the sand does not glimmer in the fog........BUT it has a mellow crunch that echoes in the stillness. It's also getting upon the time of the year, just before the first froggies sing....that you smell the earth "thaw". Does anyone get my drift on that? It's a fresh, earthy, cold, come-alive smell.....all combined into one amazing breath. I usually catch first whiff walking home one night from a jaunt in our woods or from a friend's house on the back road......completely enticing!

Have a good one all, I have a house full of friends tonite! :guinness:

What kind of book are you writing?

turtle

Thanks, turtle, that's helpful. Do you often get fog in October? Yes, I've smelled that fresh-earth scent . . . good description. I'm writing a novel. Not a romance. Set in the Pine Barrens.
--G

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
the fog was all around us, dense, moist, almost alive. With only a few feet of visibility and my foot steps being muffled by the ever present fog, I feel as though its possible I am alone in the pines, all of natures sounds seem to be strangled by the thickening fog.:ghost:

Quite cool. Aaron. Thanks!
--G

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I had an amazing experience in fog on Atsion Lake. The fog was very dense and about the same height as the sides of our canoe. You really could see the water ahead. We were headed into a very slight breeze and the passing of the fog gave the sense that we were traveling quite a bit faster than we were. Very odd sensation.

I've never canoed in the fog. Interesting sensation. I'll have to remember that.
--G

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Just dead quiet except for the occasional sound as water drips off a branch.
You can almost hear the silence, it has a presence.
A sence of being alone, the animals are all bedded down and soon it will be my turn in front of a fire for the night. A nice walk but it's good to be home.

I would add, fog is not a visual experience. If I wear glasses the condensation will blind me so I take them off. The heavy air then soaks my eyebrows so I hang my head low. All is a uniform grey with little detail, like viewing through cheese cloth. I feel the trail with my feet and use my ears, but they hear little.

Great comments, Ed. How about just before dusk, standing on that trestle over the Skit? (Maybe not so dense that you can't see the trees.) What's it look like over the water?
--G