For those who can see the forest through the lens, a contest

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
"Judges will select the top three photographs in each of the following categories: nature, historic, recreation and children."

I wonder what "historic" actually encompasses? Photo's of historic places or things?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Great. Now I have to go through a couple thousand photos to find the best one.

Steve

Same here. Which one to choose.................:bang:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I wouldn't mind allowing them reproduction rights, but I'd want to be the one with ownership of the photo.

I think this is designed to knock most "serious" photographers out of the running and allow the 13 year old kid with the 110 camera a shot at winning.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't care if they keep mine. What the heck. Life is short and so am I.

What about our own Mr. Boyd. His shots of Harrisville are great.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks BobM, will have to think about this one.

That also raises an interesting question I've wondered about. Are there any regulations about photographing things in State Parks? I looked on their website awhile ago and couldn't find any, although there was some sort of disclaimer that the rules on the website were not complete.

The national parks have recently made some policies about this I know. I assume that if I'm just taking photos for my own amusement then that's OK. But what if I put them on the web? Or publish them in a book? Or sell them for profit? Do I need permission? Do I need insurance?

What if I want to shoot a video, which is something I am thinking about. Again, if I just watch it at home that's probaby OK. What if I sell it to PBS though? Or what if I bring some actors and we make a movie and put it on the web? Everyone is so paranoid about liability these days. If I ever get serious about this of course I will call and try to get some real answers, but I've always subscribed to the theory that when you're dealing with government agency never ask a question unless you already know the answer...

And since you mention Harrisville, I think it's technically "off limits." Maybe not such a good idea to brag about your photos? Then again, maybe I just worry too much. ;-)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
Thanks BobM, will have to think about this one.

That also raises an interesting question I've wondered about. Are there any regulations about photographing things in State Parks? I looked on their website awhile ago and couldn't find any, although there was some sort of disclaimer that the rules on the website were not complete.

The national parks have recently made some policies about this I know. I assume that if I'm just taking photos for my own amusement then that's OK. But what if I put them on the web? Or publish them in a book? Or sell them for profit? Do I need permission? Do I need insurance?

What if I want to shoot a video, which is something I am thinking about. Again, if I just watch it at home that's probaby OK. What if I sell it to PBS though? Or what if I bring some actors and we make a movie and put it on the web? Everyone is so paranoid about liability these days. If I ever get serious about this of course I will call and try to get some real answers, but I've always subscribed to the theory that when you're dealing with government agency never ask a question unless you already know the answer...

And since you mention Harrisville, I think it's technically "off limits." Maybe not such a good idea to brag about your photos? Then again, maybe I just worry too much. ;-)

As far as I am concerned I own Wharton, and if I want to take photo's there that is my business. And if I were you I would make that video and not think twice.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
And Mr. Boyd,

In this game of life they say its easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

Especially when it comes to matters of guvmint policy.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There are no regulations regarding photographs of anything on state land in NJ.

Just about the only thing that might get you in trouble (because we're at war) is photographing bridges (and I mean the big ones, not something like Quaker Bridge), railroad depots (and again you most likely wouldn't get in too much trouble at Winslow Jct.), military equipment, etc.

I would think that any national laws regarding ownership or publishing rights of objects in National Parks would easily be defeatable in court. They can get away with it in museums, but that's because flash photography is pretty brutal to things, and with all of the idiots coming in with their point-n-shoots there would be excessive wear on artifacts. You can't argue that the same thing would happen if you take a picture of Mount Rushmore or something.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I dug around a little, and if anyone particularly cares Public Law 106-206 passed by congress in 2000 sets forth some rules regarding commercial photography in National parks: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/permits/pl-106-206.pdf

In a nutshell it says you need a permit and a fee will be based on the number of people and amount of equipment involved in filming. Still photos are generally allowed, but some exceptions exist.

Evidently the individual parks have their own paperwork and rules, for example the Yosemite application says
A permit is required when the filming, videotaping, sound recording or still photography involve the use of talent, professional crews, set dressings, or props; when they involve product or service advertisement; or when the activity could result in damage to park resources or disruption of visitor use. A permit is also required if the photographer wants to film in areas not open to the public, or before or after normal visitation hours. If you are uncertain whether your project requires a permit or not, contact the park for additional information. If you already know that your project does not require a permit, you can call the office to check the schedule and avoid conflicts with other activities. Generally, permits are not issued for filming on weekends or holidays.