For users of the "favorite maps" feature

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I was just reading about a change Apple made to the web storage API in Safari. This is how your list of favorites is stored at at boydsmaps online. The article said that if you do not access data in localstorage for 7 days, it will be deleted. So (evidently) if you don't visit the site for a week, your list of favorite maps and preferences will be deleted. A lot of web developers are angry about this change, as it affects many websites.

Apple cited privacy issues related to web tracking for the change. Awhile ago, Apple made some changes to the "cookie" system to make it harder to track users across different websites. As a way to circumvent these changes, some sites have started using localstorage as an alternative to track you across different sites. Now, none of this has anything to do with the way that boydsmaps uses localstorage, it is only used to store your preferences and favorite maps on your computer. I don't do any tracking and the localstorage data is only accessible by you. But, as usual, a few bad guys make life harder for everyone else. :argh:

As a practical matter, as long as you visit the site once every 7 days, there should be no change. But if you go away longer, your favorites and preferences will be deleted. If you've spent some time customizing the favorites menu then I suggest that you back it up. This is very simple - just copy everything in the advanced editor, paste it into a text editor (such as TextEdit, NotePad or even MS Word) and save it to a file. You can restore your favorites anytime by pasting the data back into the advanced editor. See this:

Now, this only affects Safari at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if other browsers on Windows and the Mac follow, as a way to prevent sites from tracking you.

Reactions: bobpbx