Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
If it's the same one I saw yesterday, then yes, it was a controlled burn. Not sure as to exactly where, but a buddy of mine in the forest fire service believes it was in the vicinity of Atco/Medford area.

I drove thru Rt.50 & 322 yesterday afternoon and all was fine till I got on to 73 north in the Berlin area. Thats where I saw the smoke off to my right.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe Maxwellandson lives near there so he should be able to fill us in.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
We saw some smoke in the distance today also. But this was more around rt. 72 up towards greenwood. Maybe the are doing a couple controlled burns?

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
There have been many prescribed fires all over central NJ since Friday. From Monmouth County all the way down to Atlantic. They will continue until the weather turns, which might possibly be Wednesday of this week. (Calling for rain/snow). The prescribed burning window ends about March 15 each year and sometimes gets extended to
March 30.
Pete

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
not sure if it was the same one dragoncjo and I saw in the distance, but there was one in close to 72, then another off 539 (NW of webbs mills) and ANOTHER moving from there towards lakehurst. tis the season for controlled burns . . .

just seems weird that they'd go through with the burns on such a windy day.

I believe Maxwellandson lives near there so he should be able to fill us in.

Guy

Sorry I just saw this. The answer is yes it was a prescribed burn, which I doubted at first because it seemed a little to windy that day. That area there is still within the Laureldale (city) limits.:) We (Laureldale fire co) where constantly going out on calls for smell of smoke and large low lying plumes of smoke. we had checked with the Forest fire and they had confirmed that they we control burning at Strawberry field (directly behind where Boyd pointed out). later that same day The wife myself and the kid's headed out towards the Mulica and saw large plumes of smoke over (what looked like bass river state park). We decided to follow it and It actually ended us up 539 by Warren Grove.