Forked River area

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
I have done some exploring in the Forked River area near 539 and just wondering what other spots of interest are around there. I know there is alot of 4x4 stuff that happens back there. Is that legal???
I have been interested in doing more exploring in this area but I am not familiar with this area. Can anyone tell me as to what is back there or near there??? I want to learn more about what was there and what goes on. Is it private property??? I heard that you are only bothered if you are on an ATV but not if you are in a truck, is this true??? Anyone can shead some light on this area for me would be much appreciated.

Jello

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your best bet is to get a topo map which you can buy at Batsto or Atsion for just a few dollars and explore with that. Much of the area in the Forked River Mountain's area is privately owned, but if your vehicle is registered they seem to not bother you. If you have an ATV or unregistered motorcycle they will confiscate it if they catch you.

Also, in the Map Gallery on this site there are a massive amount of old top maps you can download. Read Beck's books and other and use the maps to see if you can find where the places mentioned are.

If you then have a particular place in mind to visit, and need help, post back and someone may be able to help you.

I hope that answers your questions.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jello454 said:
Can anyone tell me as to what is back there or near there??? I want to learn more about what was there and what goes on. Jello

Read the quote at the bottom of Guy's last post to you Jello. Then, enter at your own risk :shock:

B

bach2yoga

Geez, I would have thought a member of the Forked River Mountain Coalition would be extolling its many wonderful virtues! :p

Welcome, Jello. Things are generally pretty safe out here, but unfortunately, as with anywhere, there are always exceptions.

Renee

SkullCherrys

Scout
May 4, 2004
Forked River/Belcoville
Most of the FR mountains property is privately owned. From what I hear if you have a registered truck you wont be bothered during the daytime but will get into trouble at night. They will ticket you sometimes though. My friend has gotten many. As for ATV's if unregistered they will be confiscated like Guy said. I have never run into any rangers or police out there since I've been going out there (about 5 years now knock on wood). So its your choice to take a chance or not.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
SkullCherrys said:
Most of the FR mountains property is privately owned. From what I hear if you have a registered truck you wont be bothered during the daytime but will get into trouble at night. They will ticket you sometimes though. My friend has gotten many. As for ATV's if unregistered they will be confiscated like Guy said. I have never run into any rangers or police out there since I've been going out there (about 5 years now knock on wood). So its your choice to take a chance or not.

I take it that the privately owned proprieties are marked as to not trespass?

I've only been there once and really didn't remember seeing any signs. My only recollection of my trip last year with the group were two very surprised people in the front seat of a car who burned rubber after we entered the area :lol:

OTOH, the road from Speedwell to Friendship (Willis Grave?)has dozen of signs. the I kind of get the feeling I will get shot at if I did trespass.

SkullCherrys

Scout
May 4, 2004
Forked River/Belcoville
Most of the signs are by the roadways like lacey road. Some properties are marked by last name or initials on trees, stones, or telephone poles. One guy I know was fine with letting people ride on his property until recently. He can't afford all the fines and lawsuits now because of stupid bennies and careless people getting hurt on his property. I know my brother and his friends used to chase alot of bennies out of the woods, I've even heard tales of them getting beaten by locals. It 's sad how we can't do as many things as we did when growing up because of careless people or someone getting "offended" or someone sueing over something completely ridiculous. :|

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
SkullCherrys said:
Most of the signs are by the roadways like lacey road. Some properties are marked by last name or initials on trees, stones, or telephone poles. One guy I know was fine with letting people ride on his property until recently. He can't afford all the fines and lawsuits now because of stupid bennies and careless people getting hurt on his property. I know my brother and his friends used to chase alot of bennies out of the woods, I've even heard tales of them getting beaten by locals. It 's sad how we can't do as many things as we did when growing up because of careless people or someone getting "offended" or someone sueing over something completely ridiculous. :|

I've seen some property owners have even gone through the job of creating sand walls to keep people out. I do feel sorry for them.

My biggest concern is not receiving a summons but being shot at if I made the mistake of trespassing. I'm very careful as to where I explore.

Ken (Benny or Shobie) as known to South Jersey folk :)

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
I was just back in that area last week and someone is clearing some land, about a mile past the gun club. Does anyone know why or what is going on in that spot???

Jello

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
Jello454 said:
I was just back in that area last week and someone is clearing some land, about a mile past the gun club. Does anyone know why or what is going on in that spot???

Jello

Any one ever figure out what that was all about??? Is some one just clearing land or are they going to build something there???

Jello