Forked River Mountain Cleanup This Weekend

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
If any of you guys (and gals!) would like to do something different this Sunday, The Ocean County Parks Dept. and the Forked River Mountain Coalition will be sponsoring a cleanup of the mountain tract. We will be meeting at the Well Mills parking lot on Rt. 532 in Waretown. Gloves, bags, and transportation to the site will be provided. Anyone with 4x4's that would like to help transport people and/or materials are welcome too. We will be serving a BBQ lunch at the mountain at about Noon to all participants. The Jersey Devil has been known to show up at the BBQ from time to time, and there will also be a short nature walk after lunch at the peak. I'll be most likely driving one of the park vans. Feel free to introduce yourself if you like. Hope to see you there!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
German,

Is there a time that this starts? Also, if I or anyone else arrives, how do we know it is you? If German is not your name, we may feel funny asking for German.

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Oops! I knew I forgot something. It starts at 9:00 and ends with the BBQ at the mountain at 12:30 or so. And yes, that is my name. My first name, believe it or not!(pronounced with a hard "G")

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
German,

Thanks for the info. I will try to get there if I can. It is a good 45 minutes drive, but I would like to help out and see my old camping site again. I really enjoyed my years there.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
German,

How did it go today at the cleanup? I am sorry I did not make it to help out.

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
That's OK. Too much to do and too little time to do it. Been there. It went off fine though. I got to meet BobM. I didn't even know he was going to be involved. With so many organizations working on something, you never know who you are going to meet! Hope to meet more of you all in the future.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
The cleanup sounds like a good project. I just heard about it now. I had not checked this site for several days, as I suddenly became busy. Saturday morning I cancelled my earthlink account, because, for one reason, it took more than ten minutes to log on (this wasn't the first time over a short period of time) when I went to check the map for directions to the Doo Dah Parade in Ocean City. The parade was great, by the way. Between this and getting my new Internet gateway, Verizon squared away and collecting information from a belated computer printout, my weekend was full.

When a place such as Forked River Mountain is cleaned up, there's less of a chance of the area being trashed out again. It's no guarantee, but when some people see an area that's constantly trashed, they tend to think that it's already messed up, so what does it matter if I add to the trash. This is often true of borderline barbarians. Of course, a full-fledged barbarian wouldn't think twice about trashing out a place. The only thing that will curtail this type of individual's actions is punishment. I took a photo of a road sign on my way to New Mexico years ago that read "Only Garbage throws garbage."

It also is good to work together and meet others who appreciate the Pine Barrens. By the way, German, was the cleanup on the east mountain, the one I visited a few weeks ago?

If I can, I may come out to events like this in the future.

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Jeff, the cleanup was spread over a wide area of the mountain tract. We filled up several dumpsters with debris. We will be having another cleanup at the Stafford Forge WMA this Sunday. We wil be meeting at Tip Seaman Park in Tuckerton at 9:00.

I was also at the Doo Dah parade Saturday. I had never actually heard of it before and only went because we read something in the paper about the Basset Hound march and my son, who had a Basset until recently, wanted to go. He loved the dogs and I got a kick out of seeing Soupy Sales. Of course the kid never heard of him!

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
I just read your message, German, and I'm a bit wearing, having to leave my house at about 6:30 this morning to go to Easton, PA on business. I'll have to see what's happening and am thinking about going to the cleanup Sunday.

I got a kick out of seeing Soupy Sales, as well as the parade and show. I wrote something about it on the other bulletin board where I post. I met and shook hands with Soupy about two weeks before the DooDah parade at the NJ Convention Center. I told him I liked certain skits from his show as I recited a few lines. He asked me if I wanted to buy a tape (video). I did. I played it three times in a row, once for myself, a second time for my daughter, and once again for myself. As I watched the first time, my daughter, hearing White Fang, remarked "what's that?" I told her who it was and that she's probably never seen anything like Soupy Sales before.

By the way, I'd like to meet the Jersey Devil. I've heard so much about him!