Forked River Mountains Tour

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
On Wednesday I met up with Deepexplorer to visit an area we rarely see. We met at Wells Mills Park and then from there headed down Jones Road to find the mountain. That road needs some serious maintainance. We didn't know the roads so we just winged it, taking any road that headed in the right direction. We actually found it with little trouble and could drive to the top. The last time I was there we couldn't get near the top for the puddles.
A nice fire pit.

A shrine at the top.

There wasn't much of a view because of the trees. This place needs a serious chain saw work party. We did manage to see the Lakehurst hangar.
We did see four ATV's and beer cans in a tree. This is a very strange place, quite different than Wharton.

No swimming.

We then travled on to Aserdaten, not much there, then on to Eureka.
When did they replace the wooden bridge?

Very clear water.

Then finally to an old grave site.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They replaced the bridge in February or March of 2010. Ben was there right after it was finished. I have photo's from 4/7/2010.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ed, in your post you said..."This is a very strange place, quite different than Wharton."

What did you mean by that? Strange how? I'm really just curious about your perception. I have my own thoughts on that.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
That road needs some serious maintainance.

A few sections of Jones have gotten real bad over this past winter. I broke the CV joint and axel shaft assembly for the 4wd in my Silverado on Jones a few weekends ago.

Gabe and I went to the mountain a few weeks ago and found a fire in the pit still burning in the afternoon.

Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I broke the CV joint and axel shaft assembly for the 4wd in my Silverado on Jones a few weekends ago Chris

Well Chris, that is because a Chevy truck was never really intended to be taken off road.
:eek:
They are only to be seen off road in exhilarating, cowboy ingratiating, made for TV commercials.
(I am sorry, Thursday is my gone drinking night)

Chevy's CV joints, flimsy rubber CV joint boots and pencil-thin axles on steep angles protruding out of something that kind of resembles a differential are best suited for crappy little Japanese cars or maybe a quad, not a pickup truck.
Praise the Lord that Ford has stood by (so far) the good old cast iron Dana 60 and a solid axle tube on their heavy duty trucks.
My '97 and '02 F-350's have cast iron u-joints the size of baseballs at the end of each axle that will probably outlive me.

Chris, I am sorry I just couldn't help myself. I see a peace offering gift of wine in your very near future. :)

Okay, let the Ford .vs. Chevy flame war and thread hijack begin !

I am going to bed, I am tired.
:D

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Well Chris, that is because a Chevy truck was never really intended to be taken off road.
They are only to be seen off road in exhilarating, cowboy ingratiating, made for TV commercials.
(I am sorry, Thursday is my gone drinking night)

Couldn't have said this any better, my friend! Enjoy this true classic.

A satisfied Ford Bronco owner-

P.S. No need to apologize. :guinness:

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I must admit Scott, your trucks are a couple of beasts! I like the '97 best, Bomb proof! I have owned both, Chevy and Ford. To be honest with you, I do not think I will purchase another full size Chevy. I like my truck but I have made many repairs to the driveline. I have 205k on it now. I am on my third trans, I have had to rebulid the rear differential, both hub bearing assemblies in frontend have been replaced twice, universal joints in both driveshafts, the trans tail shaft once and one CV joint and axel shaft assembly. I have been thinking about selling my Silverado, Colorado, and Camaro to purchase a full size Ford. Back in 2009 when I bought Tracey her Jeep Wrangler Ulimited she originally wanted a Ford Raptor. We looked at them first. It was an awesome truck! But the price was right around 50K! So we went with the Jeep and saved 20K.

Scott, you have been busting my balls about Chevy trucks from the first day we hung out. My truck broke on the way to a PBX hike. When we hiked passed Paridise Lake that day a couple guys had a Chevy up on blocks beating on the frontend and you made it a point to let me know there is another Chevy up on blocks.:)

I will gladly accept your peace offering of wine! See you tomorrow!

Chris

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Ed, in your post you said..."This is a very strange place, quite different than Wharton."

What did you mean by that? Strange how? I'm really just curious about your perception. I have my own thoughts on that.

I'm having trouble putting my finger on it except to say it is not inviting. It might be because it is so dense with scrub oak. I was thinking it was the lack of rivers, but then I reallky enjoy hiking the uplands of Wharton. In Wharton we can stop anywhere along a road and take a side trail or fire break. I start with the intention of a short walk and end up wondering what is around the next corner or go visit an open area. Pretty soon hours have past. I am drawn into Wharton, not so at FRM.
In the 90's I did some hiking at FRM with a friend and after a couple of trips she said "I don't want to come back here". I don't know why.

One other observation, I didn't see fire breaks or controlled burns, not that thats a bad thing. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I didn't see fire breaks or controlled burns, not that thats a bad thing. :)

Maybe this is what you're reacting to? Controlled burns totally change the character of the forest, making it more "accessible" - you can see things in the distance and walk in any direction you please. There are times when I enjoy this, but generally speaking I think it emasculates the woods and removes most of the mystery.

I have spent the past week or so bushwhacking around some areas near my home while I still can (before the vegetation gets too heavy). The going can be rough, but I'll take a dense thicket any day over a burned area. That's where I find all the interesting stuff.

I don't get up to the FRM area as often these days, because it's a long drive. But I love that area because of the dense woods.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm having trouble putting my finger on it except to say it is not inviting. It might be because it is so dense with scrub oak. I was thinking it was the lack of rivers, but then I reallky enjoy hiking the uplands of Wharton. In Wharton we can stop anywhere along a road and take a side trail or fire break. I start with the intention of a short walk and end up wondering what is around the next corner or go visit an open area. Pretty soon hours have past. I am drawn into Wharton, not so at FRM.
In the 90's I did some hiking at FRM with a friend and after a couple of trips she said "I don't want to come back here". I don't know why.

One other observation, I didn't see fire breaks or controlled burns, not that thats a bad thing. :)

Interestingly enough, I find the FRM's to be more interesting than Wharton. They seem more "wild" and remote to me.

I tend to agree with Ben. I've explored what I call the Greater Forked River Mountain Region since the 1960s, an area that roughly extends from Bamber and Lacey Rd. to the north to Howardsville, Brookville, and Wells Mills to the south and from 539 to the west to the Garden State Parkway in the east. To me it is the most intriguing and enigmatic region in all of the Pine Barrens. Vehicular travel through this wild country has always been difficult. I recall cavernous, clay-lined potholes that swallowed up my jeep. (Fortunately the Forest Fire Service filled in most of them in more recent years.) Then too, the region's history has been challenging and difficult to unveil. Each piece of new, hard earned knowledge brings greater clarity and satisfaction. I particularly have always been fascinated by Aserdaten, Tilly Collin's, the view from Preacher's Hill, Isaak Mountain, and the two fabled hills that I helped to save by forming the Forked River Mountain Coalition. In the Forked River Mountains you have to learn to search and see anew; the region does not surrender its secrets easily.

Lost Town Hunter

Reactions: drb and Ben Ruset

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
:eek:
:D
Great.. I bought a new Silverado Friday night. :eek: However, I know the older Fords were built "ford tough," but when I was researching my trucks recently, it seemed like the Chevy was the way to go these days. I was steered towards Chevy from two friends, both of whom are mechanics (neither drives a pick-up, so I felt they weren't showing any favoritism). Plus, all the neighbors drive Chevys and swear by them. I know its an ongoing debate and probably just boils down to personal preference, so I'll just shut up for now. Here's to all our trucks getting us through the woods safely :beerspill:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I drive a Honda Ridgeline through the woods. Take that!

Actually the new Ford Eco-Boost engine in the F-150 is really interesting. I like the look of the new Ford trucks and the mileage on them seems really good. I'd love to get 23MPG from my Ridgeline.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Great.. I bought a new Silverado Friday night.

Have no fear mike! Your Chevy will do you good! My Silverado is 12 years old and has 205k on it and I have never been stuck on the side of the road broken down with it. Even with a broken transmission I was able to get home. The fuel pump went at 179k but that broke in the driveway and was a quick fix. I don't know about the 2012 Silverado, but mine is cake to work on. I have yet to fail inspection in 12 years also.

I'm not brand partial. It just worked out that I have 3 chevys now. I have had Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Mitsubishi pickups. None left me broke down in the pines, other then running out of gas. I would like a Ford, but I would also like to wait for the new Jeep pickup that is supposed to come out in a few years.

Actually the new Ford Eco-Boost engine in the F-150 is really interesting. I like the look of the new Ford trucks and the mileage on them seems really good. I'd love to get 23MPG from my Ridgeline.

The Fords do look real nice! The milage is great also for a full size. My Silverado gets an average of 14.5 mpg, it's a pig. My 4 cylinder Colorado gets an average of 22 mpg. I think the full size ford is better than that! I commute a 100 miles a day, so thats a big selling point with me.

Chris

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
My new silverado has the active fuel management system and claims to get 21 hwy miles. If thats true, its more than my dodge dakota v6 was giving me, which i think was 17 or 18.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm having trouble putting my finger on it except to say it is not inviting. It might be because it is so dense with scrub oak. I was thinking it was the lack of rivers, but then I reallky enjoy hiking the uplands of Wharton.I am drawn into Wharton, not so at FRM. In the 90's I did some hiking at FRM with a friend and after a couple of trips she said "I don't want to come back here". I don't know why. One other observation, I didn't see fire breaks or controlled burns, not that thats a bad thing. :)

The lack of firebreaks may be due to most of the area either owned privately or by conservation groups. We tell them to keep their silver spades out of here.

I appreciate your candor. I find it interesting. As Ted indicated, I like this area due to the mystery and wild feeling. Our land feeds your rivers. The Oswego has it's birth up here at Howardsville, as well as the Wading...across 539 deep in the woods just south of Old Half Way. Then again, the orchids and other wildflowers rival anything down in the low country, which I think of Wharton as. I like Wharton too, don't get me wrong, but this land up here is something worth living in.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I tend to agree with Ben. I've explored what I call the Greater Forked River Mountain Region since the 1960s, an area that roughly extends from Bamber and Lacey Rd. to the north to Howardsville, Brookville, and Wells Mills to the south and from 539 to the west to the Garden State Parkway in the east. To me it is the most intriguing and enigmatic region in all of the Pine Barrens. Vehicular travel through this wild country has always been difficult. I recall cavernous, clay-lined potholes that swallowed up my jeep. (Fortunately the Forest Fire Service filled in most of them in more recent years.) Then too, the region's history has been challenging and difficult to unveil. Each piece of new, hard earned knowledge brings greater clarity and satisfaction. I particularly have always been fascinated by Aserdaten, Tilly Collin's, the view from Preacher's Hill, Isaak Mountain, and the two fabled hills that I helped to save by forming the Forked River Mountain Coalition. In the Forked River Mountains you have to learn to search and see anew; the region does not surrender its secrets easily.

Lost Town Hunter
Tilly Collin's, the view from Preacher's Hill, Isaak Mountain, and the two fabled hills that
where would these places be? Not on any topo map I have seen,I'll have to check the old maps.If they are your secret places then excuse me for asking.I have always appreciated a good view and don't mind working to get to it but if they are secret then by all means leave them that way :)
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Last time I was at the top of FRM I found a wooden cross that was inscribed "Pete - 1950-2001" or something close to that. Does anyone remember this? There were fake flowers and a human sized indentation in the ground. One day I was talking to some one and they mentioned a kid dying on a quad out there...I took it with a grain of salt, lol....

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Not sure about the cross Gipsie, but the memorial in the photos above is for the brother of a neighbor of mine in Bamber Lake. I think he passed away down in Texas, but always enjoyed FRM... a nice gesture.