Forked River Mtn Fossil

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found this on the slope of Forked River Mountain last nite. I had walked there from Lacey Road. Very cool. The rains uncovered it. I think it is from a group of marine animals called Echinoderm. Or maybe from the Order Actiniaria...maybe a sea anemone?

Side.jpg

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

Top1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Always a great place to look for them! Nice finds Bob.

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
A place I used to work had their property covered in stone and you could find these in every square foot. I have a small collection of them. How old do you think they are?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A place I used to work had their property covered in stone and you could find these in every square foot. I have a small collection of them. How old do you think they are?

I wish I knew. Lets consider though, that NJ was covered with seawater many times. And, I have heard that the FRMs were formed because of the great rivers that flowed through NJ on the way to the sea, and that the mountain was just a gravel sand bar. I want to say......greater than 20,000 years ago.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I wish I knew. Lets consider though, that NJ was covered with seawater many times. And, I have heard that the FRMs were formed because of the great rivers that flowed through NJ on the way to the sea, and that the mountain was just a gravel sand bar. I want to say......greater than 20,000 years ago.

Good find, Bob. Might it be some kind of coral, perhaps Rugosa?

In any case, I think we're looking at a fossil that represent a species of marine animal that went extinct around 250 million years ago. Perhaps SpungMan can shed some light on this.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good find, Bob. Might it be some kind of coral, perhaps Rugosa?

In any case, I think we're looking at a fossil that represent a species of marine animal that went extinct around 250 million years ago. Perhaps SpungMan can shed some light on this.

Coral did cross my mind, but I was looking at the aristotle's lantern of the urchins and see a resemblance. I don't think coral have that kind of thing.

http://www.marinebio.net/marinescience/03ecology/flimg/09924treDSCN7585.jpg