Forsythe Wildlife Refuge

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
My back was still preventing me from hiking on Saturday 4/15, so I thought I would shoot birds from my car at Forsythe. These ID's are tentative, so correct me if I am wrong. The most interesting thing I saw was a Double Crested Cormorant fishing with Snowy Egrets. The Egrets walked dunking their heads, and the Cormorant paddled and dove, down the channel together, like they were chasing fish towards each other. The other birds were, I believe, a Greater Yellowlegs, Ospreys, and not sure if the last photo is a Red Breasted Merganser. Also saw (not shown) Brants, Snow Goose, Canada Goose, and Terns.
greater_yellowlegs-3.jpg

two_ospreys-3.jpg

comorant_egrets_fishing-3.jpg

snowy_egret-3.jpg

red breasted merganser-3.jpg

Last edited:

David45

May 19, 2017
USA
My back was still preventing me from hiking on Saturday 4/15, so I thought I would shoot birds from my car at Forsythe. These ID's are tentative, so correct me if I am wrong. The most interesting thing I saw was a Double Crested Cormorant fishing with Snowy Egrets. The Egrets walked dunking their heads, and the Cormorant paddled and dove, down the channel together, like they were chasing fish towards each other. The other birds were, I believe, a Greater Yellowlegs, Ospreys, and not sure if the last photo is a Red Breasted Merganser. Also saw (not shown) Brants, Snow Goose, Canada Goose, and Terns.
View attachment 8926
View attachment 8927
View attachment 8928
View attachment 8929
View attachment 8930

i just want to say one word, : speechless :