Franklin Parker Preserve Foray

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Last Saturday Ro and I were part of joint botanical/entomological group visit to FPP. At one point the crowd was inspecting flower species in an area with young, 6 to 7 foot Pitch Pines. I noticed some people photographing shoulder-high "candles" - new growth/inflorescences - on one tree. Strange. I looked closer and discovered the following. studiously tolerating all the people around him/her.
406A3849.jpg
406A3851.jpg

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob: Ro does all the photography in this family; she's really good at it, benign several shows.
job

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way, I was out there that day and saw it as well. I immediately thought it was a racer, and said so. Someone else said "no, it's a rat snake". I did not challenge. So, which is it?

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Far from an expert, but I would agree with racer - the under side appears to be dark and the eye appears to have brown in them

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I agree that it is a Racer. White chin and neck with a very smooth scale with no keel. Plus there is no light pattern or white behind the scales.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It's a racer.The chin is white which is a racer attribute and the scales are smooth and not ridged as in rat and pine snakes.Racers are all flat black with grey bellies.Rats are shiny black with streaks of white sometimes visible between the scales and their bellies are mottled grey and creme.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al, you mention (as a differential) that rats are shiny black. But really, so are many racers, which is why I said racer right away. They can look shiny black and kind of flat sided.

At first I said ribbon snake, but I really meant racer when I saw it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
To me racers look flat black,not shiny because their scales are smooth.Rat snakes scales are keeled which means they have a kink or a ridge down the center and to me they appear to be much shinier like a waxed car.Rat snakes are no where near as fast as racers but they climb much better.Their more muscular and can use their belly scales to go straight up a tree trunk.They will usually freeze when you approach and rely on stillness to escape detection.Their much less apt to bite when grasped and they get much longer then racers,six feet or more being common with a record I believe over eight feet which makes black rats with pines and Indigo snakes about tie for the USA's longest snakes with Eastern Diamondback being the heavies snake and the heaviest venomous snake in the world topping out at around 40 lbs.I think they also approach eight feet long as well.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
To me racers look flat black,not shiny because their scales are smooth.

It's odd you mention that, because I've read that the smooth scales on racers do cause them to look shiny at times. I think its because they reflect light better. Maybe you have just not seen many in the bright light as I have. One reason I did not question that snake Saturday is because I was very surprised by it's behavior. It did not run or stand it's ground, as most racers do. Perhaps it had just eaten and was sluggish.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/information/?s=030018

Reactions: johnnyb

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Did you notice if it's eyes were blue? That occurs just before a shed when air gets under the brille cap over the eye.Their pretty much blind when that happens and become sluggish and very irritable and even more prone to strike instead of flee.having eaten a large meal would as you say also make one sluggish. I have caught many snakes of both species and to me the rats are shinier.I have actually seen blue racers with yellow bellies and when a kid I thought they were a different kind of snake but black racers just before a shed can appear blue with a yellow belly instead of grey because of air under the skin and the eyes were blue on these blue snakes as well.They were just pre shed black racers.

Reactions: johnnyb

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
A retired NC Park Ranger-naturalist with whom we enjoyed several days of botanizing in his area some years back had this to say:
"
This one is for sure a racer. It does have more white on the chin than probably 95 percent of all the racers we see down here. The smooth scales as opposed to the keeled scales of a rat are
distinctive. Also the really large eyes with the more pronounced 'eyebrow' ridge are distinctive. Also the eyes are a bit further forward on the head. Even though racers are not the climbers that
rat snakes are we have seen them up in trees quite a few times. The racer doesn't have the slight flare shape towards the back of the head that rat snakes have...this allows rats to eat much larger prey
compared to head size than racers.
Hope this helps. You'all take care Floyd"

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Regarding the white on the chin, I had an interesting thought; check this racer pic out:

ry%3D480

Here's one with a lot more white in the chin than the one above, I believe about as much as the one in the original picture:

ry%3D480

I wonder if their faces become more melanistic as they age? I noticed that Johnnyb's racer and my racer in the bottom pic both look to be about your average sized racer based on head dimensions (mine was about 3-3.5 feet long), but the one in my top pic has bigger head dimensions and was well over 4 feet long, probably 4.5.

Here's one that was about a 2.5-footer. Lots of white:

ry%3D480

I'll pay more attention to this in the field. Not sure when their faces go white though, as they are born without the white coloration under the chin. Here's one that just crawled out from an egg:

ry%3D480

Cool stuff!

Last edited: