FRED + III BLUEBERRIES

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I'm sorry about Fred.

Wild blueberries are so much better than store bought like they are an entirely different thing, tart and bursting with vitamins. The kind in the store, including "organic", are bland. The best I think were in NY State, like in Bear Mountain State Park. They used to grow in Inwood Hill Park in Manhattan too, the neighborhood where I grew up.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have to say this, even though I picked blueberries as a teen for 3 or 4 summers in a row in Pemberton; the best tasting berries you can buy now are definitely from Chile.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
When I pass the blueberry farms down Hammonton way in late June, I look at the migrant workers and the port a potty's and I go pick my own.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
I grew up in a development in Howell, NJ. There was a large tract of woods formerly owned by Howell Horse Farm behind our property that was loaded with blueberry bushes. My family would fill pail after pail when they were in season. Miss those blueberry pies and tarts that my mother would make. it was also great as a kid roaming those woods to be able to stop and pick a handful any time you were a little hungry or thirsty.

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate