Free fishing days

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I went yesterday to Gropps lake in Mercer county with my girlfriend. I hadn't gotten a fishing license in a few years and my girlfriend had never gone fishing in her life. She had been wanting to go for a while so the free weekend worked out nicely. Of course it was oppressively hot and the fish weren't really biting. I had fairly small hooks but all we got were a few baby smallmouth bass and sunnys nibbling at our worms-too small to even get their mouths around the hooks really. All of a sudden though my girlfriend motioned for me to come over to where she was quietly and when I walked over I saw a HUGE snapper that had just come out of the water to sun himself on a rotted log near the bank. I would estimate his shell at about 14-15", maybe a bit larger. Anyway, I had a whole bunch of nightcrawlers since we hadn't caught anything all day so I tossed one to him. It startled him of course and he quickly jumped into the water but once he saw the worm he quickly snapped it up. We sat there for about 15 minutes throwing worms to the snapper and watching him eat. It was really neat to get that close to such a nice looking turtle-I wish I had a camera with me. Anyway, despite the heat and getting no fish that made the day worth it. Anyone else initiate some new fishermen this weekend?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice to see you had good time, and saw the turtle.

Jes and I were passing though Chatsworth yesterday and were making the left turn to head toward Bear Swamp Hill, and there was a box turtle in the road. We passed and decided to go back and rescue it, but as we turned around there were two other cars that stopped and a man was running toward it hopefully to rescue it also. Didn't want to see it flattened!

Guy