Friend bailed; Thoughts/feelings on solo backpacking?

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
My backpacking partner has bailed on me. :mad:

So I'm thinking about going solo. Just man and nature. But before I decide, I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Has anyone or does anyone here backpack alone? Do you prefer going alone or w/ a partner or group? Any other thoughts, insights, or feelings are welcome.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
I hiked the Appalachian Trail a few years back, sometimes in groups, sometimes alone. I think it is entirely safe to hike alone provided you are in good health and are confident in your skill level. Chances are, you'll have a cell phone signal most of the time you're out anyway, and you will come across other hikers, so you'll never be "alone" in the backcountry sense of the word.

In all honesty, I think I prefer to hike alone. It becomes more meditation than amusement, and I feel much more grounded when I return to my regular life.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
Grendel -- This will be my first time, but I'm reasonably fit, and I plan on doing some practice hikes at a nearby park. There's a 3-mile trail loop w/ varying terrain. I imagine that walking that loop a few times w/ a loaded pack will give me a preview of what to expect?

Keep the comments coming, interested in hearing what you guys think...

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hiking alone can be a great experience!! There is a higher saftey concern with hiking alone but it is not an unreasonable risk. I really enjoy being alone in the woods. I enjoy the company of others, but being alone allows you to think more, and allows you far more freedom to do whatever you want. You just have to ask yourself if you are the type of person who enjoys being alone for long periods of time.

Jeff

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
if you run regular and your pack is a resonable weight,you won't have any problems there. Just be sure to take care of your feet,If you get hot spots put on the moleskin BEFORE they turn to blisters. Being alone in the woods is a great way to get to know yourself.I make several trips solo a year,and I look forward to them. It is amazing how many people have never been alone for just 24 hours.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i hike quite a bit alone in north central pa. it is always a bit of concern since there is no cell phone service and the terrain is very hilly and rocky.......oh well some hunters may find my remains sometime during the next hunting season, LOL
i realy don,t worry about getting lost....."i was born lost and have been loosing ground ever since"

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
Grendel, yeah, since the Batona is flat, I'm likely going to be wearing a pair of New Balance trail running shoes (as opposed to hiking boots) that I've been running in for a couple months. They're nice and broken in and I've never had blister problems. Then again, I've never done 50 miles in such a short period of time, so I will definitely heed your warning. I agree that most people have never spent 24 hours alone. In fact, I'm not sure that I ever have.

I like that quote, onehand.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
I'm thinking one way, from start to finish. Unless I'm feeling really good at the end of it, which I doubt I will. In that case, I might just turn around and walk back. :)

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Backpacking and hiking are two complete and different animals. Hiking by itself can be about simple dayhikes or weekend excursions, while backpacking intones and idea of spending a prolonged period in the woods; living, eating, walking.
I have bp'd big sections of the A.T., PCT, and a huge swaths of the MidAtlantic and a piece of Alaska's Tongass Natl. Rainforest. There is no place I'd rather be than mountain tops or lowland swamps....Often, I hike with a group, the trail is the same, but a rousing camp life can be fun after a long day out. It also makes for a safer environment because of the support around you. Traveling solo, for me, is one of the best experiences in bp'ing. When I'm alone however I study maps, water sources, and terrain closer because its me alone without a backup. While the Batona has little varying terrain difficulties can be found in some tough sugar sand and confusing trail splits. Crisscrossing sand trails are the work of the :jd: I think the best idea is to take an 8-10 mile swatch of trail to see how much you enjoy the experience. If you have a good time without trouble pick another piece. Batsto to Lower Forge is a nice 8 miler, or if you feel like you could tackle a couple of extra do the Batona Camp to Pakim Pond, crossing through Wharton in B.Bryne. To get to Pakim Pond from Batona is around 12 miles.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
Grendel -- Yeah, it is. I'm still trying to work that out.

Piney -- Point noted. Is the Batona marked clearly enough that it's difficult to get lost? Or is getting lost a real possibility (i.e., are there lots of forks in the path that aren't marked)?

Thanks again guys...

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
watchmaker-
I'm just getting into backpacking and one of my goals for the summer is to do the batona trail solo, but I'd definitely like to go through it with somebody first. When are you planning on going? And also which direction? I would lean towaqrd starting in the south because that way I'd end up in at the northern end of the trail in Ong's hat and would be able to get a delicious meal from the apanay cafe. Let me know when you're planning your trip for because i'd definitely be interested in coming along.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
I will likely be doing South -> North, but I have no date set in stone yet. I'm still waiting on the arrival of my sleeping bag which is back ordered at REI. They say it should be here by May 30. When did you plan on going?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Piney -- Point noted. Is the Batona marked clearly enough that it's difficult to get lost? Or is getting lost a real possibility (i.e., are there lots of forks in the path that aren't marked)?

While the Batona is clearely marked those unfamiliar with it may become confused at points were sand roads and trails cross it. These crossing points are often enough that it can become confusing if not careful. If you are confident enough in your navigation and general outdoor abilities I would say give it a try. If not so confident start small and work up to a longer distance.

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
watchmaker said:
I will likely be doing South -> North, but I have no date set in stone yet. I'm still waiting on the arrival of my sleeping bag which is back ordered at REI. They say it should be here by May 30. When did you plan on going?

did you get the sub kilo on sale too? i just picked that up a few weekends ago and have been sleeping in my hennessy hammock in the backyard to get used to it--very comfy! i didn't have any plans about when i'd do the batona trail, but i planned to do some shorter solo hikes to places like the mullica and lower forge camgrounds before attempting a solo 50 mile stealth-camping hike. but, those plans have kind of been derailed by my parents who think its too dangerous to do pretty much anything solo (even car camping-they really don't know what they're talking about), so i was pretty excited to see somebody on here with a similar goal that i might be able to go with. Also, i'd definitely bring my gps so no worries about getting lost. I have all the backpacking basics (shelter, sleeping bag, pack, stove, etc.) but no water filter yet and i probably need to get more lightweight synthetic clothes and some rain gear. that i'm definitely not buying from REI--have you seen some of the tiny jackets they sell for $100-200? outrageous!

are you all outfitted besides the sleeping bag? we could shoot to make a three-day weekend of it sometime in early june.