Frog calls heard tonight!

B

BarryC

Tonight I just took my neice JoEl to a local Pine Barrens Treefrog habitat for her to hear them. I drove to the location I knew about and parked the car. Sure enough we heard the PB Treefrog. After several minutes of listening to them we started to leave. I was listening as we were driving on the dirt road and I could hear other frogs. So I shut the car off again and we took a trail in to a small muddy pond with quad tracks all around it. We heard the PB Treefrogs there as well, and they were up in the trees. We also heard another kind of treefrog and one other kind of frog as well. Plus we heard some Spring Peepers. So we were standing there listening to the frog choir, and then a Whip-poor-will started singing!
To me this is one of the coolest things I've experienced yet in the Pine Barrens. And now I can hear 2 of those frogs hear at the house as well! (not the PB Treefrog though.)
I only wish I had something to record the sounds with and someone to identify the frogs other than the PB Treefrogs and the Peepers.
Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Renee, you may want to bring Kristen one evening soon. You 2 will love it! It's fantastic. Maybe you get to hear lots at your house. I don't know. Wish I could ID those other 2.
Barry

B

BarryC

Scott,
Thank you for the link. This CD is on my to-buy list.
RednekF350 said:
Barry
If you haven't heard it yet get a copy of NJ Fish and Game's CD of frog calls.
The sound quality is great and it covers all of our local species.
The woman's voice that narrates the CD is mesmerizing as well.
Here is the link to buy it.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/prod_herpguide.htm
Scott

B

bach2yoga

Last night I heard what I thought were gray tree frogs while I was putting Joseph to bed. Haven't heard them here before, or seen them either.
Lo and behold, Joseph just found three of them clinging to the side of the pool!
YAHOO! Of course I'm jumping up and down with excitement, and Kristen is cracking up at that sight....
Renee