Frosty Monday morning

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The bog was covered with a heavy layer of frost this morning. This area features a stream, pond and bog with tall trees... lots of water. I heard a piping cry back in the woods a bit. As I started moving into the pond two bald eagles flew across the pond to a peninsula, followed by a third about a minute later. If I had the patience and time I would sit in a hide with my telephoto and try to get some pictures.
2019_11_04_hoarfrost.jpg
2019_11_04_hoarfrost2.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
So happy the bald eagles are making a strong comeback in our area. Call me a nerd, but I still get excited every time I see one.
The Bald Eagle call sounds nothing like the Red Tailed Hawk "screech" they overdub in movies. When I walked into the woods I heard a loud and high pitched call, like a small bird might make, but the vocalization is very loud. In almost every area I've visited that looks like this, with tall pines near a relatively large body of water, I've seen eagles.

Reactions: Stamos and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I see them pretty often (unless I happen to have my camera and 300mm lens ;) ), soaring over my own woods, and their call really is surprising! If present, they always check me out when I'm wandering around the woods, I guess they're trying to decide if I'm a threat or a meal. :D

Reactions: Jon Holcombe