Gangnam Style?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
The song is horrible and making a gazillion dollars. Sounds like something from the mid 90s.
images

Did you just equate the 90's with horrible music?

WH3uPkCHCUKP2ELSBKOOXw2.jpg

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I can remember when bands played their own instruments, wrote their own songs, and could actually sing. Anything up to '93 or so is good music. I can even remember MTV actually played music videos. 120 minutes was a great show and so was the Headbangers Ball. The mid to late 80s and early 90s was a great time for music! Lollapalooza, the Spectrum, JFK stadium, and the Electric Factory where visited many times to see a favorite band play. Everyone has a time period of music which is most important to them. This was mine.:)

I still have plenty of vinyl sitting on the shelf in the den and my McIintosh receiver has vacuum tubes. I may living in the past when it comes to music, but I am alright with it.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I loved Headbangers Ball. Since your location says Trenton, have you ever been to City Gardens? I was a regular there on Thursdays. Loved that place. You been?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I loved Headbangers Ball. Since your location says Trenton, have you ever been to City Gardens? I was a regular there on Thursdays. Loved that place. You been?

Yeah that was a hang out for us! The bleachers made from counter tops was the sign of a top notch club. Nice neighborhood to put a rocker club in too. The greatest two shows I ever seen were Jane's Addiction and Siouxsie and the Banshees, both at City Gardens. The house Dj was horrible. I think his name was DJ Carlos. Do you remember when he would turn on the air raid siren? We would ride a bus downtown and then get a transfer to Calhoun Street. The bus stop for the club was in front of the housing projects! We never had any trouble but I can still remember the dirty looks. I don't think the residents appreciated kids wearing wide collared leather jackets and field boots.

Jon Stewart was a bartender for the club.

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Yeah that was a hang out for us! The bleachers made from counter tops was the sign of a top notch club. Nice neighborhood to put a rocker club in too. The greatest two shows I ever seen were Jane's Addiction and Siouxsie and the Banshees, both at City Gardens. The house Dj was horrible. I think his name was DJ Carlos. Do you remember when he would turn on the air raid siren? We would ride a bus downtown and then get a transfer to Calhoun Street. The bus stop for the club was in front of the housing projects! We never had any trouble but I can still remember the dirty looks. I don't think the residents appreciated kids wearing wide collared leather jackets and field boots.

Jon Stewart was a bartender for the club.

I very vaguely remember DJ Carlos, I do remember Eddie Boom and another guy named DJ Rich who was a friend of one of the guys in our group. Great guy and a damn good DJ. Rich took everything in stride. Some nut got naked up on the bar one night, and Rich announces over the speaker "welcome to City Gardens, where we care not about your shortcomings".

Thursdays were alternative night, the most diverse and eclectic mix of people you could imagine. Guidos from the 'burg hanging out and chatting it up with throwback punk rockers, and the occasional guy who wandered in from the neighborhood. Of course there were always the Rider and TSC girls drunk off the $0.80 vodka and cranberries. Whoot.

You remember Jim the bouncer? He's one of my boxing and MMA coaches. Awesome guy.

There was very little trouble there. I remember once or twice my spidey sense was tingling but things seemed to be diffused very quickly. One night I thought I was going to get into it with a guy, he kept insisting that he knew me and that I remembered him, but I didn't. The dude was a bit sinister and harrassing until I sort of took over the conversation, bought the guy a beer, wished him well, and apologized for my poor memory. I have nothing to prove, and we both went home okay.

I understand that Trent Reznor was there several times as well, but I never saw him.

I was very sad to see it close. I'm sure I wouldn't go back there now if it were open, but there was something about it closing that felt like the loss of a friend.

Oh and I still wear Doc Martens ;)

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
rock and country both started to die in the mid 80's by the mid 90's rigor had set in on both genres.

Al, I don't know if you are including alternative in with rock, but please check out my lil' music thread. It's got some good stuff from the 90's. I'm sure you've probably heard some of it, but maybe you'll find something that you haven't and that you enjoy!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wasn't including alternative,don't know much about it.Was meaning classic rock and country,both took a nose dive and never came back.The only good new stuff I have heard is in the celtic/world music genre,I have heard a little of the alternative rock on my sirius xm radio and haven't liked it.I think most of us tend to stagnate in our musical tastes after we get out of high school.I know I did except in regards to world music which I didn't even know about in high school.I was raised on 50;s music from Mom and old country fro Granny and then liked classic rock because thats what was in when I was growing up.I can tolerate just about anything except grunge death metal and opera.I used to even like rap up until about 84 and then it took a nose dive too.I think the music reflects the culture and our whole culture has taken a nose dive of course this is all just my opinion and we know what they are like:).I'll listen to your site,maybe there will be something new on there I will like.