Garden Orb Weaver Spider

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Anybody have any of these guys living on their property?

We have one that's built quite an impressive web by my side door. The spider has to be the size of a quarter. It's the biggest spider I've ever seen apart from a tarantula.

From what I've read, they're not poisonous, so I haven't disturbed it's web or harassed it. Hopefully it will eat some of the mosquitos.

Sorry about the poor quality photo.

attachment.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anybody have any of these guys living on their property?

We have one that's built quite an impressive web by my side door. The spider has to be the size of a quarter. It's the biggest spider I've ever seen apart from a tarantula.

From what I've read, they're not poisonous, so I haven't disturbed it's web or harassed it. Hopefully it will eat some of the mosquitos.

Sorry about the poor quality photo.

attachment.php

Ben,

That photo does not display... at least in Safari.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had one that spent all of yesterday atached to my trucks radio antenna. Must have put about 50 miles on and he hung or stuck on all the way. Was still perched there last night but was gone this morning. There is one in a web in the garage door corner now, same coloration, might be him.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I had one living between a tree and my house at my old house. A really huge one. I would watch him frequently for entertainment and curiosity. Then one night comming home from work, I walked through his web not thinking. He ended up on my shoulder and I got to tell you it was pretty shocking.

Despite ripping my shirt off and freaking out, much to my neighbor's amusement, I was not bit. They tend to be very timid towards people contrary to their size and menacing appearence.

Jeff