garmin etrex 20x

buddy47

Nov 4, 2015
farmington me.
when i go to waypoints i end up with just numbers, even though i labled them when they were first marked.
I have red the manual but have missed this........i have to many waypoints to remember where they go to.
Sometimes we just miss the boat ! any help would be appreciated,,,Thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just read the manual. Did you remember to choose "Done" after adding the letters? I am pretty sure you did but I had to ask. If you did, I would think there is something wrong with it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When you connect the eTrex to your computer, how do the waypoints show in Basecamp? Do they have names or just numbers?

Guy might be on to something there. I remember having that problem on my old Oregon because I didn't click done.

Not sure what else might cause this, but it will be easier to fix it in Basecamp than on the device itself.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Also, I had one of the old eTrex models ten years ago. When I carried it in my pocket, I would automatically create a lot of unwanted waypoints. When you pushed in the the joystick on that model, it created a waypoint. And it was easily pushed bouncing around in my pocket. ;)

The first time that happened it had me confused, because I saw all these numbered waypoints that I didn't recognize. I don't know if this is an issue with the new eTrex or not.

buddy47

Nov 4, 2015
farmington me.
I just read the manual. Did you remember to choose "Done" after adding the letters? I am pretty sure you did but I had to ask. If you did, I would think there is something wrong with it.
I did click done, but just stumbled on to something. If i go to waypoint manager, select a weypoint, it will go to anther screen and show the text
and gives a go button. still doesn't seem right, but I can go in the proper direction. If i go directly to waypoints i get just numbers.
Many thanks to those who wrote back, allways get another clue to go looking. Thanks Mark

Reactions: Teegate