Garmin GPSmap76

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Just got a Garmin GPSmap76 for free from a buddy of mine... was wondering if anyone else uses this brand and/or type, and their experiences with it.. haven't really had a chance to play around with it, although I probably should before the spring season rolls around.

Brandon

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is this what you have? I think Ben actually has one of these too.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=169

That is the original 76 model - there are newer versions which also include some letters in the name, like 76s, 76cx, 76csx, etc. Unfortunately the original GPSMap 76 is going to be rather limiting today. It has an older technology chipset which will probably struggle under tree cover to acquire and lock onto the satellites. This model has 8MB of internal memory which is quite small by today's standards. For example, my "Map of the Pines" requires 53 MB just to cover the pine barrens. You could possibly load a smaller portion of this map however, and there are other maps of the area which have less detail and require less memory. But anyway you look at it, 8MB is going to really limit your map coverage.

The newer versions of this series have more features. Some of them have a card slot that can hold larger maps.