Garvey Racing Returns

Discussion in 'Newspaper Articles' started by HeathenClerk, Jun 14, 2019 at 8:19 PM.

1. HeathenClerk

HeathenClerk Explorer

2. 46er

46er Piney

Wish they would come back to the Toms at Beachwood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

h2ochild and HeathenClerk like this.
  3. HeathenClerk

HeathenClerk Explorer

Me too, I loved it in 2011 there. Though you got way better shots than my cruddy telephoto lens got that day! Noice!

Also, apparently, like most things in our two f'n towns, they allow almost nothing anymore because their municipal lawyers tell them it "could potentially open [them] up to litigation."

4. 46er

46er Piney

From what I heard, there were many complaints since the upper Toms was pretty much shut down to other boaters during the races.

The Pt Pleasant offshore races are this weekend. http://www.oparacing.org/ppb.html

Personally I like the jersey speed skiffs. I worked with the sister of Jack Lawrence, owner of J&S Fiberglass and the builder/owner of JS-88, the Blue Goose. Very successful boat; regional and national champion several times and 2 speed records back in the late 70's

HeathenClerk likes this.
  5. Oriental

Oriental Explorer

Watching the garvey races has been a part of our summers in Tuckerton for decades as we would usually take a walk down to Green Street Park to see what was going on. I want to say the races were already happening by the time we started spending time there in the late 1970s but I can't be sure. Glad to see it come back. Very LOUD.

HeathenClerk likes this.
  6. HeathenClerk

HeathenClerk Explorer

They had them off Bandon Road in Toms River I believe 2011 or 2012 as well; viewing was good from the county office grounds/old Johnson estate.

7. 46er

46er Piney

In Silver Bay? Did not know that, good spot for it, but very limited places to watch.

Yet the sailboat racers take over the entire Toms and part of the bay every summer. :rolleyes:

8. HeathenClerk

HeathenClerk Explorer

We're OGYC members (of all the clubs on the river and mid-bay I covered for my paper, it was the least stuffy and most fun, and so the kids do their summer program) and I think a lot of people would be real open to fun garvey races. There are so many times the river is totally devoid of watercraft; it's a waste.