Gentian And Rattlesnakes

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

The Gentian are blooming but it appears there is not as many because of the dry conditions. However, some have not bloomed yet which makes them hard to find.

An example.

IMG_0444a.jpg

A bug has already met its death in this one.

IMG_0441a.jpg

It actually looks sad which I am sure it is :)

IMG_0440a.jpg

This mom is not sad but you would not know it from her puss face.

IMG_0424a.jpg

Cute as the button on their butt.

IMG_0425a.jpg

It was hot today. We drove almost 100 miles in my car with no air conditioner and were glad to be home.

Guy

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was crawling across bogs on my hands and knees that are normally a pond.First time the mud was ever solid enough to get across.Started out walking but half way across had to drop to all fours.It was so hot I thought about just digging into the mud and staying there till dark but then would had a hell of a time getting out to the road.It was NASTY!
Nice snake Guy,and with younguns too!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Awesome pics guy. I've always been interested in this behavior in snakes, I believe that the neonates are scent marking mommy, and they'll follow her lead to denning areas, etc. What an amazing opportunity that you had to see this.

Reactions: manumuskin

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Awesome pics guy. I've always been interested in this behavior in snakes, I believe that the neonates are scent marking mommy, and they'll follow her lead to denning areas, etc. What an amazing opportunity that you had to see this.

Chile you raised a great point! DragonCJO and I have talked about about how social Timbers are especially gravid females. If you find one female on the move most likely you will find another nearby. There could be recognition of kin and non-kin with this behavior. I can't say for sure all I have to fall back on is what I have experienced.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Baby snakes seem to be doing well. Mom is still around as you can see.

IMG_0450a.jpg

Jessica found this today. It was pretty calm until she sat down next to it.

IMG_0457a.jpg

IMG_0458a.jpg

We visited Friendship Bogs to look for a monument that eluded me because of water and it being very remote. I wanted to get there when it was dry but it was so tough getting there we gave up again until later this year.

IMG_0459a.jpg

IMG_0460a.jpg

We resorted to walking the leather leaf and that was not easy either. I was there about 4 years ago and was able to make it to the area of the monument but the path along the dike has closed up.

IMG_0461a.jpg

We had so many chiggers on us Jessica used three lint roller sheets to get them off and she could have used more. I sprayed OFF more than she did and faired better.

Guy