Geomagnetic Storm

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford

It's unlikely that even a G4 event like this could make the aurora borealis visible as far south as the Pines, and the weather this weekend will not be cooperative anyway. Nevertheless, I can't help but fantasize about capturing an ethereal green glow over Friendship or some similar place with dark skies.

Then again, maybe there is some hope...

Reactions: RednekF350 and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A short old thread about the Northern Lights here. As I mentioned, saw them a couple times at our place in NY but that was about 250 miles North of the Pines. Very cool, ghostly effect.

Hopefully there won't be any other effects from this storm, they were advertising a special report on it tonight at 10:00 on CNN.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

If only we had clear skies. Even a 10% chance is pretty rare.

Reactions: Boyd and RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yesterday I was using my Garmin 60 for work and had no issues in the morning getting a satellite lock. Starting around 1:30 pm, I was trying to retrieve some data and start another set of locations and I couldn't get a lock. I gave up after 5 tries. On the way home I put it on my truck dashboard and after about ten minutes I finally got a lock.
It was puzzling and I hadn't heard about this geomagnetic storm. I am a believer!

Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway

:eek:

"The world began to end on 12th May 2024, though another 309 years would pass before our species finally went extinct. .... A burst of charged plasma from the sun caused the sudden, simultaneous collapse of numerous electrical grids across the world, setting in motion a cascade of devastating failures from which humanity would never recover.......The burst of plasma leapt from the Sun’s surface on 9 May, 2024."

Written in July 2021

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Alarm woke me up @ 3am for a look. It was a quick look at clouds and I was back in bed by 3:01. Rumor is if I waited until 4am I might have seen somethin.
I got up at 03:00 yesterday to head to Aura for turkey hunting. I left P'Town at 03:40 and the skys to the north of me were as bright as I have ever seen. There was no moon and the skies were amazingly clear and bright. Unfortunately, I did not attempt a photo.

Reactions: enormiss and Boyd

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
They say a photo picks up the color better than the eye, and there is another chance tonight. Maybe I’ll see something on my morning commute

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think the optimal time ends right after midnight. But who knows. I hope you see it and maybe even I will.

Reactions: Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I tried last night, but there was really nothing to be done about the clouds. I thought maybe I would be able to find a hole, but no such luck.

As was mentioned, there was some light in the northwest sky - but I am pretty sure this is just light from Philly hitting the clouds.

A7509824.jpg

It seems like the forecast is now more like G2-G3 for tonight, which I doubt is strong enough to do anything here. A better view to the north horizon would help, but we don't really have any terrain to take advantage of.

Last edited: