Girl Scout Camp in Berkeley Township?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Some of you east of the parkway in Berkeley Township probably know about the Ore Pond canoe access on Cedar Creek. Have any of you ever heard of a Girl Scout Camp at that location?

girlscout.JPG

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have known that area as the Girl Scout Camp since I moved here 26 years ago. As far as a Girl Scout Camp being there at one time, I do not know? I do know it was a farm from the late 30's into the 60's. If you have not checked it out on historicaerials.com give it a look. The farm appears to be in its glory in the 50's. I do not know the history of the farm. What I do know is that it is a great spot to go berry picking and deer hunting. That was my go to hunting spot for many years. You have had venison from that area, Bob.

I bet you Mickey would have an answer.

Ms Oats

Scout
Aug 7, 2013
Bayville, NJ
I have only been back in that area once and wondered what it was in its previous life. I have lived here a long time as well, but didn't know it is referred to as Girl Scout camp. Interesting

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
I could be wrong , but I was under the impression the state and county " did a joint venture " to purchase this land to expand /connect DTSF with Crossley and the Whiting wildlife mgmt. area ? I believe this is a very recent purchase . I can't find the article @ this time ...

bogger

Oct 5, 2008
From the Ocean County Memories facebook page: There was a Girl Scout camp at Ore Pond in the early 1970s. The scouts purchased the property in 1969 and sold it to the State in 1974.