Godmother of the Pinelands

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have been spending a lot of time working on a new topo that includes current openspace data. Was surprised to see the extent of the Candace McKee Ashmun Preserve - it's big! When combined the other recent acquisitions and the existing Forked River Mountain Preserve and WMA, quite a lot of acres are now open to the public.

It will take some time to complete this new topo - it's a major project with lots of new openspace, trails and POI's. But here's a map of the Forked River Mountains area that you might enjoy - you can use it in Google Earth. The resolution of this map is one meter per pixel. I thought this file would be compatible with Garmin Basecamp, but it looks like a mess there for some reason. It *might* be compatible with the Garmin Montana GPS, but I have not tested it.

Download the map file here: https://boydsmaps.com/boydsmaps-forked-river-mountains-2020-preview-license-agreement/

Here's a Google Earth screenshot showing a portion of the Candace McKee Ashmun Preserve.

ashmun.jpg

Last edited:

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, I used state plane projection for this map originally but then realized Garmin doesn't support that. So I have replaced the download file with a map in geographic projection and a little higher quality. This loads faster in Google Earth, and it also works on my Garmin Montana 600 GPS.

montana.jpg

Only thing is, the Montana 600 is VERY slow to access this map, so I'm not sure how practical it will be in the field. The newer Montana devices may have faster processors and work better? Unfortunately, it still doesn't work properly in Basecamp.There are about 470 individual map tiles, so it won't be compatible with most other Garmin GPS'es that can only accept 100 tiles.