Good trails to use outside of Batsto

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Hello all

My son and I have recently befun making bi-weekly trips to batsto and have been doing both the blue and white trails, each a few miles or so.

As my son is only 2 i use a top of the line jogging stroller with big 20 inch wheels that can travers the some of the most difficult terain including logs, branches and the ever present sugar sand.

I am looking for more of a variety to take him, we have done Quaker bridge area, Batsto, and apple pie tower, ( he loved the hills there). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all. Aaron

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Hi Aaron and welcome to the site! There are lots of trails in Lebanon State Forest (aka Byrne State Forest), including handicap accessible trails which would be easy for a stroller. If you want to visit Atlantic County check out Estell Manor Park. There are miles of trails there which used to be the roads and railroads of the Bethlehem Loading Company. Most of them would also be easy with a stroller. There's an elevated boardwalk which goes for miles along the South River (labeled "swamp trail" on the map below) that might also fun. See the following:

http://www.aclink.org/PARKS/mainpages/historic.asp
http://www.aclink.org/PARKS/mainpages/estell_trails.asp

Enter the North end of the park on Artesian Well Road and park on the left about a mile down the road. There are trail maps posted on signs, and you can get a paper map with more detail at the Nature Center just inside the South (main) park entrance.

If you want something really different, how about Island Beach State Park? Lots of variety there.

Of course if you're looking for something a little "wilder" then just park along any sand road in the pine barrens and start walking :)

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Thank you Boyd, i am going to try a few of these this week. Ill post pictures and comments i hope.

Just dusted off the Old Nikon 8008 so ill give her a work out this week.