GoPro Hero3

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone have the GoPro Hero3 or Hero3+? If so can you send me a photo taken with it? Have you ever used the timed photo feature where it takes photo's every so many seconds? How long does the battery last using that feature?

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I looked at the gopros before I bought the plotwatcher. They do time lapse, but never power down so they have the same battery life as run in continuous movie mode. There are programs that can take video and sample it to create time lapse. I saw no benefit but if you find out differently, let me know.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am also looking for a camera to use while hiking to record some of the places I go. My wife purchased me that HD camera a few years ago which works well but it does not have image stabilization which pretty much renders it useless when walking.

So at the same time I was hoping to also use the timed photo's for other projects I want to get involved with. For $200 I could get both in one camera with the GoPro.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I see people using the GoPros on motorcycles and skiing so the stabilization must be good. Battery life I read is 3 Hr, can use external.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That three hours is video so I suspect the photo's will last much longer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am leaning towards the Hero 3 and not the Hero3+ because 5MP photo's is really all I would need. The video quality is the same but the low light features on the Hero3+ is better which may be nice. And the battery life is reported to be better on the Hero3+ which also may be something I might want. It is really hard to decide.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It's always a compromise, but Tech keeps getting better.
I will look into them. Heavy sleet here, dogs have bones I have a fire and beer.:):guinness:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Guy, as an afterthought I am also looking for such a camera. My point and shoot has video artifacts. I will research this and get back.
The weather here is awful, I don't know why those people pitched camp at Batona today. The ground is flooded>

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The GoPro does not come with a charger so you will have to buy that.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Does anyone have the GoPro Hero3 or Hero3+? If so can you send me a photo taken with it? Have you ever used the timed photo feature where it takes photo's every so many seconds? How long does the battery last using that feature?

Guy
My son has one. One of his shots from a trip to Hawaii.

154499365.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo! The question is what unit? If it is the 3+ it is 10MP and the 3 is 5MP. That photo quality is by far much better than I will need to have.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Why would you but a gopro instead of another camcorder (whatever they are), just looking for direction?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also want to have video of places I go and not have to carry it. They have chest mounts and head gear that makes it easy. Plus, I was looking to buy a dash mount for my car and the GoPro fits all of my needs .... or I guess you could say my "wants."

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Nice photo! The question is what unit? If it is the 3+ it is 10MP and the 3 is 5MP. That photo quality is by far much better than I will need to have.
Don't know, think is was the 10mp model. He bought it last July if that helps. Sold it, too many short comings for what he was after. The photo quality is not really that good. He bought a nice P&S with HD video with a waterproof case that works for him. A zoom lens was one of the biggest missing features. As to the features you are looking for; they are all available for standard camera's/camcorders. Check out B&H Photo Video.

I have a short video taken in my car with my Panasonic P&S on a quickly rigged tripod. I'll look it up and post it tomorrow.

Here is the in car vid, not perfect but good enough for my use, a bit bouncy over bumps as it was mounted on the seat, but I could see the LCD screen and adjust it, gopro doesn't have an LCD. If I were to do this more often I would get a suction cup mount, about $15.