Goshen Pond

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Spent a few hours midday and evening over a couple of days looking around Goshen Pond. I can't say exploring since it feels like it's practically in my back yard. Had not been there yet, and I will be returning in the fall and winter. Pretty area, with a lot of beaver dams. I noticed, as I've noticed everywhere I've been in the past month or so that water levels seem to be low. Wondering if that is to be expected in Spring or if this is some sort of aquifer depletion trend?
goshen1.jpg

goshen3.jpg

goshen5.jpg

goshen4.jpg

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Spent a few hours midday and evening over a couple of days looking around Goshen Pond. I can't say exploring since it feels like it's practically in my back yard. Had not been there yet, and I will be returning in the fall and winter. Pretty area, with a lot of beaver dams. I noticed, as I've noticed everywhere I've been in the past month or so that water levels seem to be low. Wondering if that is to be expected in Spring or if this is some sort of aquifer depletion trend?
View attachment 7542
View attachment 7543
View attachment 7545
View attachment 7544
I have noticed that as well. since they put the spillway in at atsion the mullica seem to stay lower than the old gate system

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Not sure that's it, since I first noticed the lower water level in the Mullica well below Atsion (Locks Bridge area). I don't see how the water level could be lower above AND below Atsion Lake, unless it was dammned, or cut off, above Goshen Pond, or unless there is a natural explanation.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I see Phragmites in the foreground in your second to last photo. Good thing you took the shot at this time, for that view is sure to disappear (and probably forever).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Phragmites have destroyed the sleeper. In ten years the one location I was in went from a nice Savanah to an impenetrable mess.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I see Phragmites in the foreground in your second to last photo. Good thing you took the shot at this time, for that view is sure to disappear (and probably forever).
Here I am taking shots of "pretty" scenics, not realizing that the Pine Barrens are under siege from beaver and Phragmites! Posting on this site has been quite an education. I wonder if they tell the kids about this stuff at the Batsto education center.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Going back to my days with the FFS. We did some controlled burns to combat this specific weed along the Delaware River. I was not there first hand but I heard it went well. This makes me curious if it was successfull at all long term.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
View attachment 7542
View attachment 7543
View attachment 7545
View attachment 7544
Looks as though the area is under a moderate drought watch..... http://nj.usgs.gov/hazards/drought/

Reactions: Jon Holcombe