GPS advice

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
All right. Despite my reluctance to take modern technology into the woods I am considering getting a GPS unit. My natural sense of direction and the map and compass stand by has led me out of the deep woods on many an occasion but I figured I'd give this GPS thing a shot. Even though it is the devil.

Anyway, I am open to GPS unit advice. What should I get?

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
All right. Despite my reluctance to take modern technology into the woods I am considering getting a GPS unit. My natural sense of direction and the map and compass stand by has led me out of the deep woods on many an occasion but I figured I'd give this GPS thing a shot. Even though it is the devil.

Anyway, I am open to GPS unit advice. What should I get?

Jeff

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2431844&Sku=G145-0100

Jeff

Scott recommended this unit to me.

Jim

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We have the Garmin 60CSx, and it's an all around versatile GPS that you can take hiking with you, (waterproof), but you can also natigate in the car with it. Maps are in color and you can load topo and street maps on it.
I think we paid like $350 for it including an extra 1 mb memory card.
garmin.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I agree with Sue's recommendations. I have the prior model, GPSMAP 60CS. The difference is that this unit 60CSx hasa removealbe memory card, whereas mine doesn't. I've been using mine for quite a few years with great success.

beachbug

Jun 24, 2007
i bought this one specifically for driving in the pines.
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=52049&

explorist400.

also got a 1GB SD card for 9.99 from amazon for it.

also bought the map software from magellan for 9.99 (offer came in the box)

it has been great for it's intended purpose. i have also used it to start geocaching and for highway trips.

i plot where landmarks are that i would like to come back to, or backtrack along trails i have already taken. haven't had any issues so far.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
I just use the simple Garmin e-trex legend and Im really happy with it. It doesnt have as many features so its a lot easier to use. Its also only around $150. It is small and compact and is nice both on the trail and in the car. The screen isnt in color and it only has the major roads but its nice for a reference check. For me I just use it as a back up. A turn on turn off thing. Thats the best way to save battery power. I do use it when Im driving down unfamiliar roads in the Pines so that I can record my track and later note it on my USGS topo. Its the cheap way out.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for your recommendations. The $150 range is more along the lines I am looking for. I don't need it for roads, just to plot a course through swamps and areas with no trails. And also to mark the locations of a few things I may find out there. It's application doesn't need to extend much beyond that...ease of use is a major consideration

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Jeff
Although the 60 CSX is twice what you want to pay, I would wait a little and save your pennies and get that unit.
I have been using it offshore all summer with the Bluechart chip and it is great.
2 double "A" batteries last up to 30 hours too which is amazing given the color display.
I have the US Topo chip for it for the woods and it is very detailed.
The electronic compass is nice too for when you are standing still as it will point you in the direction of your destination without having to move.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

I have to agree with Scott. I have the Legend and have not been happy with it. I liked my yellow eTrex better. Take my advice and save your money for a better unit. If you don't want to do that, and can do without the map which I almost always do anyway, buy the yellow eTrex for less than $100 and save for a better one for next year.

The Legend has a stall in it that is unacceptable. The arrow is slow to respond and you will walk in the wrong direction constantly. That never happened with the yellow unit. I am sticking with the Legend only because it holds 1000 waypoints.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
How quickly are the different GPS units becoming obsolete. That is to say, will the csx 60 be old technology in a few years. I'd hate to spend $300 and find it is worth $100 next year?

Thanks

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The CSX 60 sounds like quite a unit. I certainly understand the argument of buying quality. I am thinking something like the etrex might be a better introductory GPS for me considering how often I will actually use it. I would use it in limited application only. Mostly to save way points in remote areas and as a means of communication with other GPS users (PBX).

Guy is it possible to upload way points onto the etrex from the computer, or is necessary to program them by hand into the unit directly?

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
How quickly are the different GPS units becoming obsolete. That is to say, will the csx 60 be old technology in a few years. I'd hate to spend $300 and find it is worth $100 next year?

Thanks

The "technology" really isn't changing much.
The biggest improvement in operation of handhelds over the last 10 years has been the change to 12 channel receivers and the incoporation of the chartplotter into the units.
I still have my first handheld, a Magellan 315 8 channel non-chart plotting unit and it is fine for exactly what you want to do.
My 60 CSX is more sensitive to movement and locks on inside of buildings, which is incredible.
I actually tried it inside of our indoor range at my club and it had a fix. The building is all block with a wood truss roof and no windows.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy is it possible to upload way points onto the etrex from the computer, or is necessary to program them by hand into the unit directly?

Jeff

You can upload and download them using their software or I believe TopoUSA.

Make you own decision without relying heavily on my opinion. Scott's claim of it locking onto satellites even in a building is a nice feature since the eTrex has problems in dense woods. Is that annoying! So if that does not concern you, and the map is also not important, the yellow should do just fine. To be honest if you really plan on using it frequently, you should think about a higher end unit.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'd agree with what Scott says about the underlying technology. What's changing though is the software, quality of the screens, more memory for the same price, etc. I'm still happy with my 3 year old eTrex Legend C and Streetpilot 2620.

I've been reading about Garmin's newer units which use a standard data format (XML) and they can be mounted on your computer like a hard drive, allowing you to copy files to and from them and use other applications with the data. That sounds like a really cool development, the units we're discussing here are all still based on some kinda primitive software models with klunky interfaces IMO.

Another way to get data out of your GPS is Google Earth. The plus version will import GPS data, but evidently it won't export data back to the GPS: http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_gps.html

This may get more involved than you want, but there's a good GPS forum here if you want to learn more: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

Oct 25, 2006
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?...cat3=Global Position Systems (GPS)&Startat=61

Jeff

Check out the unit for 294.95 after 50.00 rebate from Adorama where i bought my second pine barrens dedicated canon digital rebel xt.

My own personal opinion on this with a outing to share.
I was out looking for the first time in March for the landing gear at Bear Swamp hill which i did find.

I have the yellow garmin e-trex, i always before going back to the 70's went in to areas by instinct with a help from the sun's position due to my knowledge of amateur astronomy, of course i never went deep to places where you guys go.

The e-trex is a great starter unit,no question about that, but the e-trex that day which i used for the first time ever exploring, but which was necessary to reach the landing gear, kept losing it's signal due to canopy cover, it got me to the landing gear yes, but on the way back to my car it was a nightmare.

Loss of signal, constant directional arrow innacuracies due to slow response time, well it was starting to get dark, i eventually found the way back to my car thanks to the knowledge of the sun's position which i always used to go into short distances in the woods.

After been constantly led around in circles by that very slow responsive directional arrow on my e-trex, i shut the dam unit off, and went by the sun's position, which when i could ascertain it, was getting very low in the sky, if it would have been dark i would have gotten out eventually by the stars, thankfully it was clear that day and night, i would have eventually found my car.

When i finally got back on the trail to my car, i decided to turn the gps back on for the hell of it, to my amazement, my car was 12 o'clock in front of me by eyesight, but the directional arrow was saying it was at 10 o'clock.

The moral of my experience was i needed a way better gps, i am almost finished saving up for the unit which Scott recommended to me months ago, a signal inside of a building, wow, once i buy and receive the rec'd unit i will never leave home without it.

Of course i would hate like hell to lose it someday in the woods, but the price is getting better all the time. :D

Jim

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
From what I have been reading about the newer GPS models is that there is a newer main chip they are using that speeds up the initial satellite acquisition. And has more power. Just my two cents worth!
Len in PA

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
After been constantly led around in circles by that very slow responsive directional arrow on my e-trex, i shut the dam unit off, and went by the sun's position, which when i could ascertain it, was getting very low in the sky, if it would have been dark i would have gotten out eventually by the stars, thankfully it was clear that day and night, i would have eventually found my car.

When i finally got back on the trail to my car, i decided to turn the gps back on for the hell of it, to my amazement, my car was 12 o'clock in front of me by eyesight, but the directional arrow was saying it was at 10 o'clock.
Jim

Garmin's books and most of the websites I'visited w/ GARMIN tips mention how slow the directional arrow is when walking in the woods. I don't use it. I prefer to let the unit draw the track on the map screen [e-trex legend] and zoom in and out as needed until I find a waypoint as reference. I find the track is very accurate; zoomed in tight you can tell that you are walking inthe opposite road rut VRS the track going in...

I have used the 'GO TO' feature to go directly toward a waypoint BUT like using a map & compass, I steer to one side until the directional arrow turns sharply towards the waypont, i.e. build in the error so you know which way to correct as you close in on the destination.

Check out http://www.geocities.com/etrexkb/ and http://gpsinformation.net for some good information on the care & feeding of a GPS.

Oct 25, 2006
Garmin's books and most of the websites I'visited w/ GARMIN tips mention how slow the directional arrow is when walking in the woods. I don't use it. I prefer to let the unit draw the track on the map screen [e-trex legend] and zoom in and out as needed until I find a waypoint as reference. I find the track is very accurate; zoomed in tight you can tell that you are walking inthe opposite road rut VRS the track going in...

I have used the 'GO TO' feature to go directly toward a waypoint BUT like using a map & compass, I steer to one side until the directional arrow turns sharply towards the waypont, i.e. build in the error so you know which way to correct as you close in on the destination.

Check out http://www.geocities.com/etrexkb/ and http://gpsinformation.net for some good information on the care & feeding of a GPS.[/quote

Wis

I forgot all about the track feature, this like i stated was the first time i ever used a gps in the woods, i was so used to my ray marine gps chart plotter that i had on my boat, of course that has waas positioning also which the e-trex doesn't, it was easy to and easy back, even from the 28 mile wreck, it brought me almost right on top of Little Egg Inlet bell buoy.

Jim

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
You're going to do what you're going to do, but I really think you're missing out if you don't go with the GPSMAP 60CS/60CSx series. I think the 60CS was disscountinued, but you can probably find one new on eBay or something. All of those features that you don't think you'll use, will be there once you need them.