GPS Or The Sun?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yesterday Al and I had to cross a very tough and remote section of woods to look for a stone. On the way there we used our GPS unit but holding them up and looking at them while pushing through the woods was somewhat cumbersome. We eventually made it there but it seemed like forever, and not finding a stone made it worse. So on the way back Al came up with the plan of using the sun and pretty much ditching the GPS.

So on the way to the stone at 85 we blazed the path on the left, and on the way back using the sun we blazed the path on the right. With all the advances in electronics the old "technology" of using the sun works best.

gps_or_the_sun.jpg

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
With all the advances in electronics the old "technology" of using the sun works best.

That's how it's been down for years beyond count. I still grab direction from the sun depending on the time of day in a given season. (The sun route looks shorter.)

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al likes to also use a compass which works really well when you can walk and keep looking at it often. However, these woods were unforgiving and we needed to concentrate on every step we made just to move forward. Even Al's dog realized that by walking directly behind Al so she had someone blazing the trail for her. She is no fool!

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
....on the way back using the sun we blazed the path on the right. With all the advances in electronics the old "technology" of using the sun works best.

Guy

And Al's method doesn't run out of batteries :eek:

I wonder how many folks bother to learn how to use a compass anymore.....