GPS Purchase

Dargo

Mar 23, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
Just and FYI:

Well, I just purchased a GPS unit + Accessories to serve double duty in both car and hiking situations.

Here is what I got:

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76csx/
Garmin MapSource City Navigator, North America v7 DVD
Garmin MapSource United States Topo CD-ROM
Garmin Automotive Navigation Kit for GPSMAP 76C/76CS

I was a bit dissapointed that they did not include anything in NJ in their more detailed topo map. A checked out the one above and it covers the pines pretty well (1:100,000 scale), however the other program was 1:24,000 scale.

Just felt like sharing and I welcome any comments.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Welcome Dargo, and congratulations on the GPS purchase. I've been using a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 in my car and a Garmin Legend C for hikes. I had a Magellan Meridian Gold before that, but I like the Garmins better, especially their topo maps. I've also used the Magellan auto GPS (Hertz Neverlost) and really didn't care for it.

I have both the city and topo maps loaded into my auto GPS (it has a 2.3GB hard drive in it :) ), and just the topo maps on the little one. I think the coverage of NJ is generally pretty good, but could always be better.

I was a bit dissapointed that they did not include anything in NJ in their more detailed topo map.

I assume that you're talking about the maps like they have in their National Parks series? Yeah, those look very cool. If I ever get out of NJ to a National Park I'll definitely want those!

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
good choice, i use a garmin 60cs with topo and US roads and recreation

i find US roads and recreation the best for use in the pines, little more info and no topo detail i don't realy need, but i can switch between them on the fly

Dargo

Mar 23, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
Well, I received it yesterday and played around with it a bit. Pretty nice, but the directions for it are poor.

It took me forever to figure out how to switch from the navigator maps to the topo maps on the fly. You basically have to go to a sub-menu of a menu to do it. This was not in the manual.

There are a few other things I need to play with and a few questions I'm trying to get answers to. Like:

1. Is there a way to manually change an address to refelct reality. It thinks my house is really a few doors down from me. I guess I could create a my own point and call it home (not sure how to do this yet), but it would be nice if you could permanently alter an address to represent reality.

2. Whenever, I turn my unit on, the altitude is off. I can go in and have it calibrate itself but it seems to be way off when I first turn it on (autocalibrate is on). It may just be that it takes time to calibrate itself and I haven't sat there long enough to give it a chance.

Overall, very nice though. Looking forward to using it on a hike soon.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i have found on my 60 cs and a friend of mine has also found on his 60csx that the altimater and electronic leave alot to be desired, both need to be recalibrated frequently
i do not trust the e-compus because i have compared i to a good needle type often and that has given me reason to question it most of the time, so i keep it turned off
i have found the altimater a little bit more accurate but in sounther NJ it is seems always off about -+ 25 to 50 feet, but that is within garmin spects i think

yes, the manuel seems to leave alot out, you just have to play with it and remember there are "return to defaults" options if you mess it up too much, LOL

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I use a hand held Magellan Explorist 600 for the field. It's compact with great graphics.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
gps question

I'm not at all familiar with gps units. What is a ball park price for the units that have been mentioned here. Having been lost a few times in the woods, and really lost on one occasion, it's been something I'm considering.

Thanks for any info.

Dargo

Mar 23, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
piker56 said:
I'm not at all familiar with gps units. What is a ball park price for the units that have been mentioned here. Having been lost a few times in the woods, and really lost on one occasion, it's been something I'm considering.

Thanks for any info.

The 76CSx was $549 I believe. With the maps (streets and topo) and the car kit, I think my grand total was ~$900.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
a Garmin 60cs can be purchased at ll bean for 300 bucks last time i was there, on line for a few bucks more and a 60c for under 300

60csx for about $500 with one menory card

Garmin US topo map set can be had for $80 and Roads and Recreation is no longer available but if you you know somebody with.........!