Great News If You're A Pine Barrens Hiker

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I hope my truck gets cold enough to deactivate these devil spawn. They have hitch hiked a one way ride into my vehicle and over stayed their welcome. I find random bites on me every couple of days. The shop-vac made my interior clean but did very little in removing the stragglers. :mad:

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Time to spray inside your truck. Aerosol Permethrin - intended to be sprayed on clothing. Permethrin is used in the various head lice shampoos and on the bug proof clothing offered. Permethrin will kill them.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I put a bug bomb in my truck once to kill chiggers. Then I spent the next half hour trying to calm passersby who thought that my truck was on fire. Man, you should have seen all the white smoke pouring out of it. Word quickly spread throughout the chigger kingdom to stay the hell out of my truck! :D

Reactions: dogg57

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Ah, I can hear their screams now. It's payback time for the dozens and dozens of bites I've gotten this year from the varmint cong chiggers!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I just finished by chemical warfare campaign with a fine coating of Sawyer's to the interior of my truck. Perme and the cold should finish them off. Of course, I will probably bring in the next batch of torment tomorrow after hiking. The joys of the Pines!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
BUH-BYE CHIGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you're right, but I'm going to continue taking precautions for a few more days at least. I don't think we had much frost here last night, tonight should be colder though.

frost.jpg

Now if we could only get some rain down here in the the Sahara of the Pines; it's really dry. We had several days of cloudy, threatening weather but no measurable rain.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My car windows were frozen when I went out this morning. I covered my Lima Beans with an old quilt but it looks like some of them along the edge were open to the elements this morning. I may have to do some picking.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
34F, no frost yet. But soon; very, very soon.

And then the final nail in their coffin, and lots of nails this winter :D

126301209.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
32 here this morning. Lots of crickets chirping last night and this morning; would a hard frost stop them?

I don't think we will see any scenes like that for awhile 46er. Warmer nights coming for the next week.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
When it's late July in the pines and 20 deer flies are circling my head, gnats are diving into my eyes, sweat is rolling down my cheeks and I'm avoiding stepping on weeds like they're land mines because I know any one of them could be housing a hundred chiggers hoping to dine on me for lunch, I dream about a day like today.

I set out about 8am to do a round trip hike on the Batona Trail from Carranza to Quaker Bridge. What an absolutely gorgeous day to hike. Temperatures were in the low 30's as I hit the trail, bright sunshine, the air was crisp, clean, refreshing and dead still. The woods was quiet and peaceful. The section of the Batona Trail from Carranza to Quaker Bridge contains a lot of stretches where tree branches and the underbrush have encroached on the trail and are constantly rubbing against you as you're hiking. I am happy to report that I did not find one tick or one chigger on me today (clothes and shoes were treated with permethrin)

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Yay!! Post some pics Old Crazy if you have them! Would love to see and glad you had a most excellent time!!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yesterday morning I was in the area of Rockwood and along the Mullica until noon. I don't have a single bite on me, even though I was in grasses knee and waist high for hours.. The cold Friday night and the cooler temperatures Saturday probably just slowed them down for a moment. We are going to have more seasonal weather this week. I don't think we are in the clear just yet.

Reactions: pineywoman