Great Swamp Branch

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I took half a day off on this fine spring morning, looking for photo opportunities. It's getting too hot with rubber boots, two shirt layers, a hat and chap jeans. I'm going to have to get out of the woods and down to the beach soon.
great_swamp_branch1.jpg

great_swamp_branch2.jpg

bulltown_rd.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You see quite a bit in the woods during the summer. You will be missing things.
Tee, you're like the "Wharton Oracle". You offer a couple intriguing lines and I find myself re-reading them, looking for the implicit or implied meaning (which is always there)! I know you can't mean deerflies or lyme disease, so I says to myself, "self, he must mean flora".

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I took half a day off on this fine spring morning, looking for photo opportunities. It's getting too hot with rubber boots, two shirt layers, a hat and chap jeans. I'm going to have to get out of the woods and down to the beach soon.

I don't see how you'll be any more comfortable dressed like that at the beach but what do I know. :)

Nice pics by the way. Do you mind if I ask what you're shooting with?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I don't see how you'll be any more comfortable dressed like that at the beach but what do I know. :)

Nice pics by the way. Do you mind if I ask what you're shooting with?
It would be a pleasure to put on Merell's and shorts! I shoot with a Nikon D810. These particular shots i used the 14-24mm Nikon, but I often use the Rokinon 14mm, which is very sharp and relatively inexpensive lens (but manual focus). Tripod is Gitzo Mountaineer 3. Someone said, that you'll buy 4 tripods, each one more expensive then the previous until you arrive at the right one. I do post processing in Lightroom, and sometimes use Photomatix and Photoshop.

Last edited:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Tee, you're like the "Wharton Oracle". You offer a couple intriguing lines and I find myself re-reading them, looking for the implicit or implied meaning (which is always there)! I know you can't mean deerflies or lyme disease, so I says to myself, "self, he must mean flora".

No, he meant deer flies and lymes disease.....he is weird that way.;)

Nice pics. The great swamp branch is a pretty wild river. Unfortunately it has been impacted by invasive species (flora) due to a rise in PH and farms to the west.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
It would be a pleasure to put on Merell's and shorts! I shoot with a Nikon D810. These particular shots i used the 14-24mm Nikon, but I often use the Rokinon 14mm, which is very sharp and relatively inexpensive lens (but manual focus). Tripod is Gitzo Mountaineer 3. Someone said, that you'll buy 4 tripods, each one more expensive then the previous until you arrive at the right one. I do post processing in Lightroom, and sometimes use Photomatix and Photoshop.

Thanks. I shoot Canon and lately have been enjoying using my kid's 10-22 (Christmas present from me) for landscapes, architecture and hopefully car / bike shows soon.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

While Woodjin is semi correct, I would think you would want to see the places your have enjoyed all winter while they are fully alive in the summer. The full pine barren experience has good and bad sides to it but missing one of the seasons would be a crime don't you think?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
While Woodjin is semi correct, I would think you would want to see the places your have enjoyed all winter while they are fully alive in the summer. The full pine barren experience has good and bad sides to it but missing one of the seasons would be a crime don't you think?
Pushing through the heavy brush (and through swamps and over dams) in the bogs during warm weather in full gear is tolerable, but I admit that thought of tiny deer ticks discretely attaching themselves to me only to be discovered after the bulls eyes fades brings me up short. Agreed about the fully alive part. It would be nice to shoot leaves instead of sticks. And then there's the deerflies. I assume boots and Permethrin will handle the chiggers. You PBX guys are made of heavier timber than me. Now, I'm assuming this isn't a set-up to see if I'm really dumb enough to do it, right? You go into swamps in the summer?

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks. I shoot Canon and lately have been enjoying using my kid's 10-22 (Christmas present from me) for landscapes, architecture and hopefully car / bike shows soon.
9mile, I don't know if you are familiar with Jason Lanier. I have recently found his Youtube videos very interesting, and very instructive, although he only shoots Sony. Assuming you are using a crop sensor with the 10-22, the 16-35 FF equivalent is exactly what Jason uses. It's a very useful range.