Green Bank Inn... closed for good.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I know the Green Bank Inn was a favorite for some members here, it was probably my favorite bar in NJ. Sadly, the owner passed away about 2 months ago. Her family was operating the bar for a little run there, but I just learned last night the inn closed earlier this week and will not be re-opening... ever. My condolences to the family and I will greatly miss this piece of Americana. I always loved the fact that my dog could run around the bar as I shot some 8 ball.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I rode by there last weekend and saw not a bike parked in the front of the bar.I wondered whats up with this.That place is Bikers paradise on summer weekends? I've never been inside but it was always cool to ride by and see the bikes lined up out front.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife and I along with my daughters went in one day, and sat next to a man with a Warlocks jacket. My wife thought he would kill us but he passed around photo's of his grandchildren.

Sorry to see the place go. My worry is what will come there......maybe a chain store? :bang:

Reactions: NKS969

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
Don't think the locals had much love for the place anymore. heard the son could not legally hold the liquor license and they were just selling off the stock......anyone want to partner up in a bar ???

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I worked there part-time for a couple years shortly after moving here. Lorraine had a heart of gold to everyone she knew, especially the children of the community. She was also generous to the fire and ambulance companies. I met countless good people in my time there. Unfortunately, as in all too many families, the son situation is not a pleasant one. Skip is right about his inability to legally hold a liquor license. I was under the impression that he had already sold off much of the contents to maintain his "lifestyle". Hopefully someone with Lorraine's heart and hospitality background can come in and make a go of it. (skip ;) ) She had been ill for the last year and if not for the staff and her friends, there would not have been any notice of her passing. It was a cool place and she helped make it so.

Terry

SCAN0063 (800x671).jpg

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I was speaking to a fellow on what would have been the final night for the place.
My recollection of the conversation is that they were having a:
"Drink till every bit of booze in the joint was gone" and then close the doors for good.
Now,
I do not know if that happened or not but given the proclivities of the patrons, I would not want to anywhere near the place that eve'.
I think even being a fly on the wall to see that night happen would have been a dangerous proposition.

g

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
One of the last, true Piney bars! Many a long ride home from that place in the wee hours of the evening, but always a welcome destination for a mid-summer day thirst quencher. Sorry to see it go.

John-

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I can't imagine anyone being able to re-open this place without fixing the numerous code-violations. I've never been inside the place, so it's probably an unfair assessment on my part, however based on the outside, there's probably a bunch of work that needs to be done to bring it up to code.

JersyDeb

Jul 20, 2012
Piney by Birth
I spoke to someone there a few weeks ago, he said they were staying open. Said to tell people to call before they came out. Even if they just opened on weekends. ...Didn't catch his name,......Yep.... I was at the Pub in Tabernacle at the time, and had just left the Hedger House....