Green snake

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Well done Ed! What is your secret? They are really hard to find when everything is green.

Guy

I almost said "I wish I could find money like that", but these guys are better because they made me smile inside, they really brightened up the start of my day.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Absolutely love it, Jerseyman!

And your charismatic snake too, Ed.
Have to ask: does it eat frogs?
Might it live around the Friendship bogs?

Glo

they mostly eat insects and I think I recall they have a particular taste for spiders. If you have ever been in the pine barrens in the fall, after a rain, early in the morning, the ground spiders are everywhere. Of course, the rough green snakes spend most of their time in shrubs and trees than on the ground.

Jeff

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
they mostly eat insects and I think I recall they have a particular taste for spiders. If you have ever been in the pine barrens in the fall, after a rain, early in the morning, the ground spiders are everywhere. Of course, the rough green snakes spend most of their time in shrubs and trees than on the ground.

Jeff

Thanks for the meal info. But about the rest, you're kidding? I've seen black snakes hanging from trees, but green snakes live there? Why the adjective "rough?" Same snake as Ed's? Sorry, Jeff. You'd be amazed at what I don't know. :)

Glo

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah, the green snakes are climbers. I've found them on the sheer side of a tree when the bark is course enough for them to get a grip. I am not sure exactly why they are called rough green snakes, but that is their full common name. I believe the rough green snake is the only green snake in the pine barrens...at least it is the most common.

Jeff

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Yeah, the green snakes are climbers. I've found them on the sheer side of a tree when the bark is course enough for them to get a grip. I am not sure exactly why they are called rough green snakes, but that is their full common name. I believe the rough green snake is the only green snake in the pine barrens...at least it is the most common.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. They certainly are appealing little critters.

Glo

Apr 30, 2009
Great photos!! I'm sure if everyone got together on this site and put together all their photos, you could probably make a book!!!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the meal info. But about the rest, you're kidding? I've seen black snakes hanging from trees, but green snakes live there? Why the adjective "rough?" Same snake as Ed's? Sorry, Jeff. You'd be amazed at what I don't know. :)

Glo

they are ROUGH because their scales are keeled.as opposed to the smooth green of north jersey who has smooth scales

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks, Al. Can you teach me how to pick up a snake? One of the kind that doesn't bite. :)

Glo

if your really scared of getting bit then I'd stick to ringnecks,brown snakes,green snakes and worm snakes.these snakes are too small generally to bite and even if they try they can't break the skin.some snakes that will sometimes bite at first but quickly calm down are garters,black rats,kings.your nasties are your water snakes,black racers.pines are very individualistic.most put up a nice bluff but won't bite but I have caught a few hell raisers that mean what they hiss.
as far as how to catch well the ones i first mentioned just grab em.if it's a snake likely to bite you can use a hook and pin the head combo but if you don't know what your doing you can hurt a snake by pinning it's head.I just grab any snake that isn't venemous.I'd rather get bit then hurt the snake.Rattlers or other pit vipers are definitely best left to experts with a hook.
most snake bites by native species are no worse then a shaving knick and as whip will tell you I'm a pain sissy so if I can take a bite without crying I'm sure you can.
Al

JerseyHiker

Apr 24, 2010
Found one of these beauties last year on the Batona outside of Batsto. Was sitting right smack in the middle of the trail. Was the highlight of my hike. Snapped a few pictures with my cell phone. One here...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Found one of these beauties last year on the Batona outside of Batsto. Was sitting right smack in the middle of the trail. Was the highlight of my hike. Snapped a few pictures with my cell phone. One here...

Nice find! I agree, they can be the highlight of the day. We were so looking to see a snake or turtle today and fell short :)
BTW, welcome to the site.

Guy

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
very nice... i haven't seen a green snake in about 30 years. the one and only time, i was walking barefoot in the local sand pit and one slithered out of the grass in front of me...caught me by surprise. had my stride been a bit longer i would have stepped on him.

they are beautiful!

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
if your really scared of getting bit then I'd stick to ringnecks,brown snakes,green snakes and worm snakes.these snakes are too small generally to bite and even if they try they can't break the skin.some snakes that will sometimes bite at first but quickly calm down are garters,black rats,kings.your nasties are your water snakes,black racers.pines are very individualistic.most put up a nice bluff but won't bite but I have caught a few hell raisers that mean what they hiss.
as far as how to catch well the ones i first mentioned just grab em.if it's a snake likely to bite you can use a hook and pin the head combo but if you don't know what your doing you can hurt a snake by pinning it's head.I just grab any snake that isn't venemous.I'd rather get bit then hurt the snake.Rattlers or other pit vipers are definitely best left to experts with a hook.
most snake bites by native species are no worse then a shaving knick and as whip will tell you I'm a pain sissy so if I can take a bite without crying I'm sure you can.
Al

Great run down on snakes Al. I do have a few questions though if you don't mind. What's a Brown snake? I have captured lots of different kinds of snakes, including 2 greens and only one hognose and I realize snakes usually have two different names, depending on who you talk to. What's the difference between Black rat snakes and Black Racers? I think the snakes I caught as a kid were racers but they usually became gentle after a little handling. Of course, their favorite trick, along with lots of others, was to take a dump on you, which was very unpleasant.
The green snakes are definitely my favorite but, the ringnecks are nearly as beautiful and every bit as gentle.
Living in Florida, I have to thank you for the hike photos...makes me wish I had hit the woods much more when I had two legs.

Jay