Gridlock Comes to New Gretna

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Here is a Blog I found.Just like the info it had

The other day I had to make a trip to Northfield. As I left Route 9 in New Gretna to get on the Parkway, I saw the dreaded orange traffic cones funneling the Parkway traffic down to one lane, just before the Mullica River Bridge. Traffic had come almost to a stop. It was just creeping along. Gridlock had come to New Gretna!

My traffic problem was the result of preparations that are just beginning to construct another bridge adjacent to the present bridge that will handle increased traffic loads in the coming decades. As I was sitting in the slowly moving traffic, inching towards the bridge, I got to thinking about the bridges that had spanned the Mullica over the years, linking Burlington and Atlantic Counties. This new bridge will be bridge number 4.
http://bassriverhistory.blogspot.com/2009/04/gridlock-comes-to-new-gretna.html

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Very cool write-up on there. I remember reading a lot about that site in Beck's Jersey Genesis. My grandfather used to fish out of Chestnut Neck all the time and always referred to the boat ramp as Cramer's. I never knew the history of the family over there and it was neat finally reading about it after all these years.

The bridge landings are still there from the Rt. 9 bridge, although not much is left. Part of the ROW is even still walkable on the other side, but is sheared off by two removed bridges over some small creeks before you get to the river.

Crazy they had to do so much work over there. That Parkway bridge has been dropping concrete into the river for years.

And I think they are working on the Bass River bridge now as well. At least there's work to be had I guess. But then again, when is there not construction on at least 25% of NJ's roads! Lol