Gun Club Property Cleaned Up

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I was looking over aerial photos and noticed that the destroyed gun club located deep in the woods behind the recently acquired Boy Scout property along Stevenson Road (Red Road) has been cleaned up. If you have never visited there some of you may remember my posts from 14 years ago in January 2003. The club had been destroyed and the place was scattered with various items.

1/19/2003

GunClub.JPG

My daughter Jennifer in the outhouse in 2003.

JenThompson.JPG

I then did a little searching online and found out that Ocean County acquired the property two years ago from a firm in Cherry Hill and they most likely cleaned it up. I then decided to visit there again today and early this morning Jessica and I did just that. Walking down the road we could see pieces of the cinder block that surely had fallen off the trucks on the way out, and after arriving there we were greeted with an interesting surprise. Because the building had collapsed on the foundation nobody was ever able to see it. Now it is completely exposed and inscribed in the concrete is the date it was poured and the name of the two individuals who did it.

Today

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

Whoever did the removal may have been the one who discovered these pieces of concrete and pieced them together. The name of Russ can be added to the lists of individuals who most likely was there at the time. All of the pieces are not there but another name starting with the letter A is also evident. In the bottom left corner it appears there is the number 3. In any event, the place is completely cleaned up and almost all evidence of what was there is gone.

IMG_0922.JPG

I was able to search out and find that it was surveyed at the sale and here is one of the traverse points.

IMG_0925.JPG

And I found one of the property corners.

IMG_0926.JPG

Here is the location. By clicking back through the years you can see how easily I was able to see it was cleaned up.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78311373743388&lng=-74.3892166356373&z=19&type=hybrid&gpx=

However, if you look at HistoricAerials.com it is clear that there use to be two building there before 1963 and they more than likely were destroyed. They show up very clear in 1956 but by 1963 they were gone. This tells us that the 1963 foundation most likely was a replacement or new owners had acquired the property and were constructing the building. It is interesting to note that by 2006 Jack Cervetto and his wife Pearl owned the property and sold it to a company in Gibbsboro on 2/1/2006.

I will ask an individual I know in Ocean County what they can tell me about the recent purchase and the clean-up. I looked up the two names inscribed in the concrete and found one that may be the proper person because of his age. He recently died. Obviously, not enough research has gone into this yet to be sure.

Guy

Reactions: John

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I have a map that shows that whole area as being part of Bass River State Forest, I think, sometimes called "Bass River State Forest North". It is bounded on the northeast by NJ-72/CR-532, with cut-outs for Coyle Field and that concrete plant/quarry thing near CR-539. The area touches Penn State Forest in its southwest corner. If correct, then it was acquired by the state, not the county.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the 2014 info. Notice the owners at that time was not the county.

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 5.17.01 PM.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the deed showing Jack Cervetto and or Pearl Cervetto sold it in 2006. Block 50 Lot 9 as above.

jack.jpg

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
OK, that's interesting. My mistake. On the DEP Bass River SF web site, the PDF map "BassRiverAreaFinalDraft" shows a tiny little cut-out within the state forest land, which is surely that (former) gun club. But the cut-out isn't included in the boundary file that I got directly from them. I wonder why that is, and if I get a chance I'll ask about it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If that map is newer than 2 or 3 years old they may have left it out since it is no longer private property. Just a guess.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
No, my boundary file is supposed to define the state property managed by Bass River SF, including Penn SF. It has included areas and excluded areas within them. It would show exclusions for any county-owned or private property. (It also excludes property acquired by NJ Conservation Foundation within or adjacent to state property, for example.)

I don't understand why Ocean County would bother buying a piece of property that was (a) relatively small, and (b) completely surrounded by state property. What would they do with it? Why wouldn't they just let the state buy it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They may not have purchased it, they may have taken it for not paying taxes. I really don't know as of yet. I have sent out an email to try and see if I can get an answer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No, my boundary file is supposed to define the state property managed by Bass River SF, including Penn SF. It has included areas and excluded areas within them. It would show exclusions for any county-owned or private property. (It also excludes property acquired by NJ Conservation Foundation within or adjacent to state property, for example.)

Is that the file you said came from their website?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
They may not have purchased it, they may have taken it for not paying taxes...
I noticed "prior year tax amount: 0" on the 2016 listing.
Is that the file you said came from their website?
No. The website has a PDF map. It's not very good. Lots of things are not labeled.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/BassRiverAreaFinalDraft_reduced.pdf

The file I have is GPX (vector) data. I think the person who sent it to me created it using data from the NJ GIS department, but I don't know the details.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The prior year tax was 0 because it was owned by the county then also. It is always 0 when the state or county owns it.

Okay on the GPX. I have made my own GPX file on everything I have on Bass River but it is only what I have collected in surveys and stones and monuments I have found. My cords are quite accurate since they are directly from the surveys but I am limited to what I have.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Funny, I have been spending the last few days adding features from historic topo maps to my new topo. This evening my focus was on historic structures and that is an area I just worked on. :)

However, if you look at HistoricAerials.com it is clear that there use to be two building there before 1963 and they more than likely were destroyed.

Actually it appears there were 5 buildings there at one time. Here is a USGS topo circa 1940 showing 3 buildings

1940.jpg

And this is circa 1950, showing 4 buldings

1950.jpg

And circa 1970 shows 5 buldings!

1970.jpg

If you look at the NJPB topo map, it only shows one building. That is probably from the 1990's? http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78311373743388&lng=-74.3892166356373&z=15&type=topo&gpx=

Here are the buildings (magenta) from the 1950 topo overlaid on my Parcels in the Pines map. The green shaded area is Bass River North State Forest. Those boundaries come from a NJDEP openspace shapefile. But notice this is one of those cases where the openspace file does not match the parcels. My impression was that the parcel data was more accurate than the openspace file, but it's curious that those buildings fit nicely inside the whitespace but don't quite fit the parcel boundaries. However, I traced the buildings from the 1950 topo, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had that kind of error.

parcels.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The file I have is GPX (vector) data. I think the person who sent it to me created it using data from the NJ GIS department, but I don't know the details.

Have a look at my parcel map. It's as accuracte as I could get using available data. Resolution is 3 feet per pixel. It shows openspace, which as you can see is sometimes questionable. But the parcel ownership info also gives a clue to park boundaries.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/parcels-in-the-pines.11747/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Heh, this is interesting. I just traced the 5 building version and it fits pretty nicely into the parcel. So the the 1950 topo probably just isn't as accurate. And it makes me wonder if maybe the state used that old map when they created the openspace shapefiles. BTW, I am just guessing at the 1970 date of this topo. It's too late tonight to dig through the USGS archives and verify the date. ;)

parcels1970.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

The buildings may also be the outhouse and possibly sheds so there really is no way to tell how many living quarters there actually were.

Also, Jessica and I spent some time looking at the property line we found and we noticed that the foundation is either partially off the property line or right on the very edge. Looking at the map just above this post the bottom triangle is pretty close to the actually configuration of the current foundation. That is the square right where the property line turns. The shapefile is off as they most of the time are. I will work on finding all of the corners of this property and then we will know. They are some tough woods to walk in and I have to do it soon or must wait until next winter.