Hacking vehicles

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think this could be a big concern in the future - and imagine the possibilities with the self-driving cars that some are promoting. I just got a new car and the connected features were standard, not even an option. It included a free 6 month trial that I have not, and don't plan to activate. There is a whole book devoted to the terms, condition and privacy policy for this system. It points out that they can still access many of the system's features even if you don't subscribe to the plan. And they also state that the only way to completely disable the system is to physically remove the hardware.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It certainly isn't like the old days. ;) The owners manual for our Jeep is over 700 pages long. You get a summary in the glove box, the big one gets UPS'd :eek: We didn't activate anything either, except the 1 year free trial for Sirius radio, and let that lapse after the poor performance on our New England road trip last autumn. I just did the firmware with the update they mention in the article. :rolleyes:

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Now not only do I have to remember patch computer, but now I need to remember to patch my car too! :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Now not only do I have to remember patch computer, but now I need to remember to patch my car too! :)

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, it's pretty difficult thing to do. FCA/Chrysler issued a patch and a statement, primarily because one of their vehicles was used in the demonstration. Part of their statement;

"Although the company clearly accepts that the issues are serious, it notes that it's "unaware of any injuries related to software exploitation, nor is it aware of any related complaints, warranty claims or accidents – independent of the media demonstration." It adds that it's "conducting this campaign out of an abundance of caution." "

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This was really, really poor software design and engineering.

Oftentimes technology evolves so fast that it gets implemented badly the first (few) times. Fortunately this is out in the limelight and hopefully this will force automakers (who are NOT technology companies) to focus on security. Hopefully that means they will hire people who will find these vulnerabilities before others do.

In the meantime, an "always connected" car is a terrible idea. My car has a system to dial the police if it's in a crash, but it does it via bluetooth through my cell phone.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The surest and easiest reversible way to ensure a hacker doesn't visit is to disconnect the cdma antenna. Most newer vehicles have 3 or more antennas depending on features and are always connected, regardless of optional features. Disconnecting the cdma may result in an annoying message, its usually just a flash message, but getting to the connection may be fun.

The feedback I'm reading on the Jeep firmware is that some folks that applied it are seeing bugs in what used to work.

And folks still have the flash drive issues out there. No known fix for those.

Joer4x4

Aug 7, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
No security...like windows.

If I was making cars and cared about my customers I would never put it the net. It's the best security and the only way to
guarantee safety and security. A no brainer.

No too hard to do once you learn the software which is not too hard to get.​