Hampton Gate Hotel

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have visited the site for the past couple of years and I believe this is the site of the Hampton Gate Hotel. To be truthful I don't have any proof but the location fits and the age of the ruins easily could be from that era. I will be measuring the place soon but I estimate it to be 25 to 30 feet long in one direction with two of the corners still intact. However, the second portion is gone or buried underground. I will work on checking that.

IMG_2741a.jpg

This is one of the two corners still intact.

IMG_6993c.jpg

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Old Inns and Taverns in West Jersey (Boyer 1962, now in the public domain) has this small piece to say about the Hampton Gate Tavern:
Soon after the furnace at Hampton in Washington Township was built, a tavern was opened a few miles away, at a place called "The Gate." The first tavern keeper at this house was probably Daniel Cavileer who was here until 1824, when he was succeeded by his widow, Mary Cavileer.

Reactions: TommyP and Boyd

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Coincidentally I was also researching Hampton and Hampton Gate today and came here to post and saw this! If this is it, what an incredible find! I have been writing my own version of the history of Hampton, based on various sources and I have been also working on a map of the various known features. Based on older maps, I had a feeling where the "gate" was and had my own guesses where the tavern might have been as well.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I have been writing my own version of the history of Hampton, based on various sources and I have been also working on a map of the various known features. Based on older maps, I had a feeling where the "gate" was and had my own guesses where the tavern might have been as well.
Sounds very interesting, is this something you're intending to publish at some point? I would like to read.

I'm curious what "The Gate" referred to.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Coincidentally I was also researching Hampton and Hampton Gate today and came here to post and saw this! If this is it, what an incredible find! I have been writing my own version of the history of Hampton, based on various sources and I have been also working on a map of the various known features. Based on older maps, I had a feeling where the "gate" was and had my own guesses where the tavern might have been as well.

I want to go there again and measure the ruins and one other thing before I say anymore about it. I have to go on a particular day and it looks like the weather and my schedule may not align. So give me time and I will say more eventually.

Reactions: stiltzkin

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Sounds very interesting, is this something you're intending to publish at some point? I would like to read.

Well, yes, “publish” as in offer to see if Ben wants to host it here. :) I only get to work on it in my limited spare time so to might take a bit.

According to Family Empire in Jersey Iron 1964, Pierce said the "gate" in Hampton Gate refers to a physical gate that existed at the end of the access road to Hampton. He states that Hampton was about a half a mile south of the gate. So, looking at the historical Cook map, it is my assumption that the gate was here, at the intersection with Carranza Rd:

You will note that road no longer exists today and access to Hampton is now provided by Glossy Spung/Hampton Rd, a bit to the southeast.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Old Inns and Taverns in West Jersey (Boyer 1962, now in the public domain) has this small piece to say about the Hampton Gate Tavern:
When I saw this book reference, I added to my list to find. :) You mentioned it was in the public domain, but I don't see it available online anywhere?

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
When I saw this book reference, I added to my list to find. :) You mentioned it was in the public domain, but I don't see it available online anywhere?

I haven't been able to find it online anywhere either; I own a physical copy. I validated with the publisher that the book is out of copyright so I was thinking of scanning it and uploading it to The Open Library (archive.org), if I can find some time to do it.

Edit: If you're after a physical copy of your own there are definitely some available. Check Abe Books.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob, Yes the road is still there. I walked it recently and some of the property stones for the Rider Wilkinson Bogs are still along that road. I have gone in that road at Hampton Gate to look for the stones.

I have no idea where the gate was but it is a full 2 miles in a straight line from Hampton Gate to Hampton. So the 1/2 mile distance does not add up there. But it is easy to make that mistake so it may have been where you say it was SuperChooch.

With that said, let's say the Rider Wilkinson property was the same back when Hampton Gate was there as it is now. This is the exact property line of the Rider Wilkinson and Goodrich Clayberger property showing you that they could have put a gate right there because anyone going down the said road to Hampton would be on their property. So the idea the gate was at that location is absolutely possible.

GateA.jpg

And if anyone is interested the next time you are at the Hampton Gate bridge look over the edge and you will see the RW58a stone for the Rider Wilkinson Clayberger Goodrich property. Don't look for the other one because the stones are underground.

IMG_6994a.jpg

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Some years ago Guy had an awesome post where he visited someone who lived in Hampton and had a ton of memorabilia from there before the state claimed it. He and I discussed the history in private conversations in relation to Mary Shinn, my namesake,
who once owned the property. I am wondering if Mary Cavileer is one and the same?

This was once the village of Hampton Furnace. The furnace was built in 1795 by Clayton Earl and Richard Stockton who purchased the land from Restore & Mary Shinn. This once sizable community has again been reclaimed by the mysterious pinelands.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...ational-cranberry-magazing.12745/#post-152802

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Joe,

This goes directly to the photos I believe. BTW in the first photo there is a large granite property stone I acquired that day. I have recently donated it to the Whitesbog museum so if you visit there ask to see it.

Also, the man holding the lamp is Daryl Goodrich, the son of the last owners of Hampton. He was 16 years old when the state took the property from them.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Some years ago Guy had an awesome post where he visited someone who lived in Hampton and had a ton of memorabilia from there before the state claimed it. He and I discussed the history in private conversations in relation to Mary Shinn, my namesake,
who once owned the property. I am wondering if Mary Cavileer is one and the same?

This was once the village of Hampton Furnace. The furnace was built in 1795 by Clayton Earl and Richard Stockton who purchased the land from Restore & Mary Shinn. This once sizable community has again been reclaimed by the mysterious pinelands.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...ational-cranberry-magazing.12745/#post-152802
Were you wondering if Mary Shinn is possibly also Mary Cavileer? If so, I would say doubtful. Restore and Mary sold the property in 1795 and according to this Shinn family tree, she died in 1804. The reference above is from 1824 and the furnace was only established after they sold. I'm not sure when the hotel was created, but I'm guessing closer to the time of the Furnace.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at Hampton Gate today but did not get time to do any measuring. Maybe next weekend.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I have thought it might be a sluice gate. What a great place to control the upper Batsto and store power.

That is what Ted Gordon claims. Makes sense to me.