Has anyone come across...?

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
...Schizaea pusilla the curly grass fern? From what I have read they are basically exclusive to the Pines. It was discovered at Quaker Bridge in 1805, and according to http://www.mikebaker.com/plants/Schizaea_pusilla.html allegidly disappeared for 13 years. Have any of you come across this plant and gotten any photographs of it? The only images the I have found on the web are pretty crummy. I'd like to see a really nice example of one in hopes that I may be able to recognize it if I came across one in my travels.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is all over the pines. Here is a poor shot of some.

cgf.JPG

You can find it in almost any bog east of 539 especially. Go to the Webbs Mill bog boardwalk and you can see it there.

BTW, Mike's photo shows it quite well. Look for curly grass.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, I think Mike was making a joke about it disappearing for 13 years.

Guy

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
BTW, I think Mike was making a joke about it disappearing for 13 years.

Guy

I never pick up on these things. ::makes that over the head gesture and laughs:: So they really are rather common then? Im still adjusting to all the differences the Pinelands have when compared to other natural areas. Like Ive said so many times before Im so used to being up north. The Pines are almost like another planet to me. I find all these different plants and terrains fascinating, though I am discovering them slowly. Thats why I need to go out with you guys some time. I think that those curly grass ferns are cool. Theyre really one of the first things Ive NEVER seen or even heard of before, but Im sure that I have plenty more in store.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
As Guy pointed out they are very common (and I've seen quite a bit west of 539 as well), but small and pretty easy to not notice. They are very cool though.

The pinebarrens are definitely like another planet. Have you been to the pine plains yet? That is the area along 72 and 539 with miles of stunted pines and oaks? I once had a friend out there and he just looked around and said "I can't believe we're in NJ". There is such a contrast to the environments of the North and west and south.

Jeff

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
When I was first introduced to Curly Grass Fern back in 79 or 80, while in college, I was given the impression that it was an extremely rare plant, and was therefore very excited to have it identified to me. That actually worked out kinda well, as even though I've found it in many sites since then, I still have a bit of that residual excitement when I find a plant. In fact, I'm heading out into the field today as soon as a co-worker shows up to check out a site we haven't been to in a while. Maybe I'll talk one of the youngins' I work with to show me how to post pics here afterward.:rolleyes:

And speaking of the plains, there is a good site there to visit that not everyone is aware of or pays attention to. Turn west from 539 onto Sim Place Rd., then take the right fork onto Beaver Dam Rd. Go down a bit past the homes and turn left toward the large military communications tower. Immediately on either side of the road will be the finest patches of Broom Crowberry in the plains. Gene Vivian showed me this spot back in the late 80s while I was working for him. It was a favorite plant of his and he always loved showing it to people.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And speaking of the plains, there is a good site there to visit that not everyone is aware of or pays attention to. Turn west from 539 onto Sim Place Rd., then take the right fork onto Beaver Dam Rd. Go down a bit past the homes and turn left toward the large military communications tower. Immediately on either side of the road will be the finest patches of Broom Crowberry in the plains. Gene Vivian showed me this spot back in the late 80s while I was working for him. It was a favorite plant of his and he always loved showing it to people.

They are one of the first plants to bloom in the spring, and I have never arrived there when it is occurring. Even then it is hard to see.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You may be able to see the plant in this 1970's photo when the sign was there.

faa.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
...Schizaea pusilla the curly grass fern? From what I have read they are basically exclusive to the Pines. It was discovered at Quaker Bridge in 1805, and according to http://www.mikebaker.com/plants/Schizaea_pusilla.html allegidly disappeared for 13 years. Have any of you come across this plant and gotten any photographs of it? The only images the I have found on the web are pretty crummy. I'd like to see a really nice example of one in hopes that I may be able to recognize it if I came across one in my travels.

I was reading "Iron in the Pines" today and was wondering if there was some sort of confusion on the "missing" or "disappearing" fern.

On page 56 or "Iron" it is mentioned that the first specimens found went missing and or lost. It says:

"Found three specimens only of the species, in 1805, all of which has been lost".

Guy