Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Shadow in the Pines,
by Stephen W Meader; Edward Shenton

If so, how was it?

Tom

Tom and Ben:

Stephen Meader lived in Moorestown, New Jersey, during much of his adult life. He served as president of the Board of Trustees of the Moorestown Public Library from 1937 to 1963. He became interested in children after graduating from Haverford and obtaining a position with the Children's Aid Society in Newark, New Jersey. This led him to write children's literature and all of his books are highly sought by collectors. Besides Shadow in the Pines, Other good Jersey-based pieces include Cape May Packet; T-Model Tommy, which takes place in Elmville (actually Moorestown); Pat--Story of a Bull Terrier, a work set in Atlantic City; The Fish Hawk's Nest; Guns for the Saratoga, occurs along the Delaware River; and The Commodore's Cup, which is set on Long Beach Island. There are bio sites on him out in cyberspace, but few stress his strong connections to Burlington County and New Jersey. He first published Shadow in the Pines in 1942. Reprint houses have republished some of his more famous books. He died in his beloved seaside resort--Cape May--during July 1977.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I am not currently reading it. I saw it online last night and had never heard of it.

Jerseyman--is this a children's story? It's very short summary didn't make it sound as such.

I am not currently reading it. I saw it online last night and had never heard of it.

Jerseyman--is this a children's story? It very short summary of it didn't make it sound as such.

Tom:

AFAIK, Meader's books are all children/young adult works of literature. However, that should NOT discourage you from borrowing the volume from the library and still reading through it. Children's books of yesterday are like some adult books of today. The grammar and prose represent a higher level of education than many current musings. For instance, the Courier-Post and Burlington County Times journalists write for people with no more than a fourth-grade education. The New York Times has elevated its editorial policy to that of about a senior in high school. Sad--very sad. I don't want to start a diatribe here, but it seems the more we spend on education, the less quality our students receive. Children of the past obtained a higher caliber of learning 40-50 years ago than they do today. Not necessarily more technically advanced--just a better quality. But, then again, students were more prepared to learn than today and they had less diversions.

Enough said!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Jerseyman,

First let me say that I thoroughly enjoy the great knowledge expressed in your posts.

I had a customer about fifteen years ago, who taught at a local community college, tell me that my mid-fifties "college prep" high school education was superior to what they were doing. Maybe he was correct.

Len

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Shadow in the Pines,
by Stephen W Meader; Edward Shenton

If so, how was it?

Tom

A week or so ago I posted in another forum asking about children's books set in the pines. There is a brief review there. I read Shadow in the Pines about a year ago and just got a copy for myself. I am in the process of reading it again. It is probably written for middle school kids, but I think you will still find it kinda neat.

Incidentally, the person who put me on to the book had it read to him (and his classmates) by his middle school teacher in Medford Lakes back in the late 60's/early 70's.

It is an adventure book that mentions many actual places in the pines. The main character (Ted) must live somewhere near Chatsworth but he travels all over the place. What seems to be a description of Apple Pie Hill is referred to as Muffin-Top Hill. I don't know if many fictional places are added to the story or if there was actually a Muffin-Top Hill with a fire tower on top in the neighborhood of Chatsworth. Even if some of the places mentioned are fictional, the descriptions are remarkable close to real places (like Martha, etc.). Surely it's worth a read. however, I have seen it for sale on ebay in excess of $100.

Rich

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
A week or so ago I posted in another forum asking about children's books set in the pines. There is a brief review there. I read Shadow in the Pines about a year ago and just got a copy for myself. I am in the process of reading it again. It is probably written for middle school kids, but I think you will still find it kinda neat.

Incidentally, the person who put me on to the book had it read to him (and his classmates) by his middle school teacher in Medford Lakes back in the late 60's/early 70's.

It is an adventure book that mentions many actual places in the pines. The main character (Ted) must live somewhere near Chatsworth but he travels all over the place. What seems to be a description of Apple Pie Hill is referred to as Muffin-Top Hill. I don't know if many fictional places are added to the story or if there was actually a Muffin-Top Hill with a fire tower on top in the neighborhood of Chatsworth. Even if some of the places mentioned are fictional, the descriptions are remarkable close to real places (like Martha, etc.). Surely it's worth a read. however, I have seen it for sale on ebay in excess of $100.

Rich

Thanks.