Has Barnegat gone down hill?

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
On another board, a woman's comment about the town surprised me. She said,"I read that a lot of ppl on section 8 from ny moved there and their teenage kids cause trouble and start fires in the woods". Has there been a mass exodus of long-time residents whose homes were snatched up by slumlords? Perhaps a gradual decline? I didn't think there enough houses there for a lot of people to move in.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
It's been going down for years in certain areas. There is more section 8 for sure. The big concern in Barnegat now is the mass exodus of Hasidic Jews buying large amounts of homes in certain areas of Barnegat.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I see Barnegat and Manahawkin being subject to a big squeeze. Everyone trying to move further south, away from Lakewood and Toms River. Most of the land west of the parkway is locked up by Pinelands rules, so you'll see a lot of changes down there in the future, I'm thinking.

Reactions: WaretownMike

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
what is section 8?

Section 8 is part of a Federal program indicating Section 8 of the Federal Housing Act of 1937. The program provides housing vouchers to low and very low income families and is set up to pay landlords directly and very reliably to provide low and very low income housing stock.

To greatly oversimplify Ed, the negativity associated with the Section 8 is due to the fact the program does pay reliably and directly to landlords making it an attractive investment. Obviously the housing can't be very high end stock and investors will buy low priced units and rapidly fill them with tenants who qualify. The program brings with it the problem of less than stellar landlords who are not otherwise invested in a community and who are only in the game for the reliable monthly check.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/housing_choice_voucher_program_section_8

http://nj.gov/dca/divisions/dhcr/offices/section8hcv.html

Reactions: Gerania and bobpbx

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
It's been going down for years in certain areas. There is more section 8 for sure. The big concern in Barnegat now is the mass exodus of Hasidic Jews buying large amounts of homes in certain areas of Barnegat.

Oh, noooo. That's not going to be good. About 10 years ago, I went to Georgian Court to tour the arboretum. Almost there, two guys launched from between cars in the middle of the block. They began to cross the road without looking for traffic. I was driving slowly, maybe 22 mph, and I almost hit them. I thought it was weird that they looked at me, eye contact, for much longer than the needed to.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I see Barnegat and Manahawkin being subject to a big squeeze. Everyone trying to move further south, away from Lakewood and Toms River. Most of the land west of the parkway is locked up by Pinelands rules, so you'll see a lot of changes down there in the future, I'm thinking.

That makes sense, especially now that Toms River is 'heroin central'. I know that there are some nice neighborhoods, but I guess they can seem a little tarnished when you wouldn't be surprised by a car break-in.

Bunch of years ago, I read an article about a couple whose car window was smashed, car robbed. The only thing taken was the leftover food from a very expensive restaurant. It wouldn't have occurred to me to hide that in the trunk.